Sign in to follow this  
Flyeveryday

An rx 580 or a GTX 1050ti??

So on my quest to finding myself the perfect p3d budget pc, I managed to find a dirt cheap rx 580, costing similarly to a GTX 1050ti and I couldn't pass. I'm going to pair it with an i5 8600(k) (will not overclock for the first few months, until I gain confidence). My question is, would it perform in between the gtx 1060 and 1070??

I don't know about the GTX, However with an ASUS Strick RX-580 8Gb card I get great performance. 

Just finished a new build last night.

1: Asus Crosshair Hero VII x-470 mobo.

2: 16 GB Gskill running @ 3466.

3: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB with ! TB WD Black ZEX running  on a tiered setup with Fuse drive, or AMD Store MI. The Fuse bootable disk is the WD ZEX.

4: AMD Ryzen 2700X 2'nd gen. Running @ 4.2 Ghz.

After first boot I set up at JFK and was getting 55-60 FPS at a gate. Every time I boot since the machine boot faster, in just a few seconds now.

When you consider the cost of ownership vs performance IMHO it's a no brainer.  FSX-SE is all I use except for Flyinside on OCULUS at times. PMDG aircraft IMHO are about the best. ! did use a GTX 8800 years ago and it stuttered no matter what I did.

The first HDD I bought was a 5 MB cement block looking device in a Digital System 425, it costed $5000.00 . And the 8 " single sided floppy disks with the OS would not fit on the darn thing. The 970 Evo is like a stick of gum, how far we have come! My AMIGA computers had the best graphics with it's 9 view ports etc. Just to let you know, I have been around for a while, I'm 83 years old and I hope they Flight Sim in heaven!

Game developers are moving toward multi core engines. Intel has been milking users for far too long. You need a new mobo, it seems, every two minutes. AMD is the way to go. If you want to spend a lot of money on a temporary basis for a FEW frames per second then go for it. I also use Aivlasoft's EFB v2. I have the Client on my other machine, an Ryzen 1700 CPU on a Asus x-370 mobo.  This machine gets faster and faster with the EMOTUS Fuse drive setup, I bought the perpetual license for $65.00 to use an SSD over 32 GB.  

AMD is taking INTEL to the cleaners. INTEL is now  more worried about the server CPU market than the gaming market I think? AMD's 7 nanometer chips will show up shortly and will have an improved IPC rate.

Best regards

BaldyB

3 hours ago, Flyeveryday said:

So on my quest to finding myself the perfect p3d budget pc, I managed to find a dirt cheap rx 580, costing similarly to a GTX 1050ti and I couldn't pass. I'm going to pair it with an i5 8600(k) (will not overclock for the first few months, until I gain confidence). My question is, would it perform in between the gtx 1060 and 1070??

The GTX 1050ti is probably closer to the iGPU (free, btw) in p3d performance than the 1070.

2 hours ago, BaldyB said:

I don't know about the GTX, However with an ASUS Strick RX-580 8Gb card I get great performance. 

Just finished a new build last night.

1: Asus Crosshair Hero VII x-470 mobo.

2: 16 GB Gskill running @ 3466.

3: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB with ! TB WD Black ZEX running  on a tiered setup with Fuse drive, or AMD Store MI. The Fuse bootable disk is the WD ZEX.

4: AMD Ryzen 2700X 2'nd gen. Running @ 4.2 Ghz.

After first boot I set up at JFK and was getting 55-60 FPS at a gate. Every time I boot since the machine boot faster, in just a few seconds now.

When you consider the cost of ownership vs performance IMHO it's a no brainer.  FSX-SE is all I use except for Flyinside on OCULUS at times. PMDG aircraft IMHO are about the best. ! did use a GTX 8800 years ago and it stuttered no matter what I did.

The first HDD I bought was a 5 MB cement block looking device in a Digital System 425, it costed $5000.00 . And the 8 " single sided floppy disks with the OS would not fit on the darn thing. The 970 Evo is like a stick of gum, how far we have come! My AMIGA computers had the best graphics with it's 9 view ports etc. Just to let you know, I have been around for a while, I'm 83 years old and I hope they Flight Sim in heaven!

Game developers are moving toward multi core engines. Intel has been milking users for far too long. You need a new mobo, it seems, every two minutes. AMD is the way to go. If you want to spend a lot of money on a temporary basis for a FEW frames per second then go for it. I also use Aivlasoft's EFB v2. I have the Client on my other machine, an Ryzen 1700 CPU on a Asus x-370 mobo.  This machine gets faster and faster with the EMOTUS Fuse drive setup, I bought the perpetual license for $65.00 to use an SSD over 32 GB.  

AMD is taking INTEL to the cleaners. INTEL is now  more worried about the server CPU market than the gaming market I think? AMD's 7 nanometer chips will show up shortly and will have an improved IPC rate.

Best regards

BaldyB

So do you recommend the rx 580 over the gtx 1050ti and would you also recommend a ryzen 1600 (if I overclock) over the i5 8600k

3 hours ago, Flyeveryday said:

So do you recommend the rx 580 over the gtx 1050ti and would you also recommend a ryzen 1600 (if I overclock) over the i5 8600k

It's been a long time since I used a GTX NVidia card, so I cannot say if it's better or worse than the RX-580. All I know is the 580 gives me excellent graphics, no tearing, stuttering, or any other problems. It's fluid and stuff loads fast. My 1700 with the AMD cooler was a lucky draw in the silicon lottery, it overclocked very well. and ran FSX-SE with no problems. Of course the 2700X with the prisime cooler is better yet. I got the new CPU to run @ 4.4 Ghz but I keep an eye on the CPU temp, so far, so good. I think a water cooling setup may allow 4.5-7? On the other hand I think maybe for what purpose, just to see how much it can be pushed?  At some point if you have an excellent result it's time to enjoy the rig and let go of the speed issues. Made a quick flight from KMCO to KLAS last night and it was very enjoyable, thinking I may call it a draw and just fly! The last Intel CPU I ran was an 80286, I had a shop and the Intel rep., said I should take my AMD Athlon signs out of my windows. I told him to go and do something to himself and never looked back.

Regards 

BaldyB

What I can tell you is a Strix RX480 8Gb performs ever so slightly less well than a 1060, but I nevertheless use a Strix RX480 8Gb in my desktop, coupled with an i5 7400 Kaby Lake processor and I'm more than happy with how my PC does with that combination when running P3D V4. In fact, I don't even bother using FFTF Dynamic on it even though I bought it, because it simply doesn't need it, i.e. I have most graphic options on high settings and I happily taxy around payware airports in payware 747s, 737s, Airbuses and 787s with Active Sky Cloud art on full throttle, all with very good frame rates. So I've little doubt that an RX580 with an i5 8600 will do at least as well, and presumably a lot  better.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here