Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Flight1 GTN P3dv4 query before purchase

Hello all,

As I have previously stated I am fairly long toothed in Flight Sim (FS2004) but very new at P3dv4.

I am seriously looking at purchasing the GTN 750 complete and other GA aircraft (in particular the Carenado Phenom 300) Before I do buy, however, I would like to clarify a few things.

1. The Garmin trainer.  I believe this is required but... is it another purchase or is it integrated. Is it freeware or payware and where do I download it?

2. I am also receiving conflicting messages in that in the same video it is stated that charts etc are only available for North America (extremely handy for me as I only fly in Australia and Indonesia) and at the same time Nav data is available throughout the world. The charts do not particularly bother me as I subscribe to navigraph charts and Airac data. What I really want to know is if the GTN is Navigraph compatible and if it is not, could well be the deal breaker for me.  I am aware that the Phenom 300 is navigraph compatible and that the GTN is insertable into that aircraft but needs to be configured (more info/research required with regards to this) so I am assuming that the whole thing is entirely compatible. I just require confirmation of this.

Generally, it looks fantastic and a really viable add on to have.

My main pursuit in P3dv4 is going to be airliners but I would also like to buy the Phenom albeit I think it is really flyable realistically with the GTN mod and at USD35 plus the GTN at USD65 the package is actually more expensive than the PMDG 737. I am also aware that the GTN can be used in many aircraft and that does somewhat offset the costs so the above statement is not really a complaint. I also have the Duke Turbine v2 which I purchased about 8 years ago??? but have never flown and I know that is compatible.

So without any desire to start a catfight, can I please have the answers to the above questions and also some insights in the use of this addon in P3Dv4.

Thanks guys and regards to all

Tony

Apologies.  I know that the PMDG is actually more expensive and I meant to say that it is close to the price of the PMDG 737 and in fact that even with the GTN mod it is nowhere near the quality and or complexioty of the PMDG aircraft range.

Edited by himmelhorse
Very incorrect statement

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I believe this is required but

Yes, it is required

6 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Is it freeware or payware and where do I download it?

A free download from Garmin - there may only be a link to the newest Trainer (v6.5).

6 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

What I really want to know is if the GTN is Navigraph compatible

No. The database is basically limited to when Garmin issues a new Trainer. Unless you know someone with an expired real database, you are stuck with the Trainer version.

Not sure what version of Trainer the F1 currently uses. There is another, the Reality XP GTN, which is currently being updated to the latest Trainer released last week (version 6.5). Not yet updated, but imminent. This one is still limited on the database issue, however the newest Trainer is updated to AIRAC 1803. It has very nice configuration capabilities as well.

Hope that helps.

David

David Porrett

David,

Thank you,

You raise another question for me. 

"a free download from Garmin Version 6.5"  Would the RXP (also be updated to AIRAC 1803 ... newest Trainer) be a viable alternative in your opinion. Note that I had the Dreamfleet baron with the RXP GNS in it which never worked but, as I very rarely flew that aircraft, I did not chase it up. I stress that this was NOT an RXP support problem.

Is there a review around which compares the two products. and do both of them require the Garmin trainer?

Thanks again for your response

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

do both of them require the Garmin trainer?

Yes they do. However, I am not sure which Trainer F1 is using. I know that RXP is compatible with several past versions.

Without spruiking either version, I use the RXP. There have been several enhancements to the GTN like visual approaches and now VNAV (newest Trainer), and these are/will be fully functional with the RXP.

Support on the RXP forums here at AVSIM is also very good.

David Porrett

David,

Thanks again,

I am not sure but it seems that the biggest advantage is in price ... for an extra USD15 you get both the 750 and 650 with F1. As the 650 is a slightly feature less 750 it is probably a moot point.

I am just trying to find out if the RXP version is compatable with the Duke but I think I will be buying one or the other. 

Further research required I suppose and that will be the project of the week

Thanks mate .. really appreciated

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

I am just trying to find out if the RXP version is compatable with the Duke but I think I will be buying one or the other. 

Most definitely is - I have it installed in the Turbine Duke (with the 650)

David Porrett

David,

Thanks   I have just posted on the RXP forum but no response yet.  Can you tell me why (no offence meant) you would install both the 750 and 650 if the 650 is an abreviated version of the 750.

I am not querying the fact that you have done it  I would just like to know why.  As the RXP version is only USD50 as opposed to 65 for the complete GTN 750 and 650, if  both are required or desirable why would you spend USD100 for both the 750and650 with RXP.  I am sure there are justifications but just what are they.  

I am not being nasty, I am just incredibly curious so please do not be offended.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony

I own a real Mooney and have a 650/750. I use them to practice using them in combination. When IFR flying you need to develop work flows to maintain orderly management of the cockpit. I use it a lot for that - different setups on each one dependent on the state of flight you are in e.g. take off, cruise, instrument approach etc. When crossfill is implemented it will mimic my exact setup.

No offence taken. I prefer RXP because it is always updated to the latest Trainer, so I can use the same features that I have on the real units.

I do know F1 elected not to update to a newer Trainer a while ago.

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

David,

Well, that sorts that out. I can now actually see the reasoning for it ... in essence, prior to your response it just made no sense (to me) for the two installations. 

Now that it is justified, I may well go for the F1 GTN based on price only (for the two) In your opinion am I doing the right thing? Do you get a discount if you buy the two at once and do they very often have sales.  I do not think F1 does so I would not be surprised to find that RXP does not either.

Again, I appreciate that I am taking up a lot of your time and I am very grateful.

Thanks very much matey

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

You can't go wrong either way. Depends what you want from your sim.

Glad to help

David Porrett

Tony,

For what it's worth, if you go with the F1 GTN, you can update the database to 1803 as well (although this isn't an official update/fix from Flight1). You'd have to download v6.5 of the Garmin trainer, backup the old navdata files (AIRAC 1611) and then copy/overwrite the old files with the newer files from the v6.5 trainer (remembering to backup your old files first).

• Upvote 1

FLJeff

I have indeed purchased the F1 GTN. I have also downloaded 6.5 and installed.

I do have problems though as I have also done the Bert Pieke mod but cannot find the .ini file. Where do I find the old files to back them up and where do I find the new files.  The install process is automatic and there are, to my knowledge no instructions.

There is a huge learning curve associated with my move from FS2004 to P3Dv4 and I have to admit that I am struggling a bit.

I will be  back in touch with Bert some time today as I think I have done something wrong with the installation of the GTN, and I don't understand why I cannot find the .ini file. Further, the programme seems to be working normally and I am just wondering what the .ini file actually does. I did find in the GTN config a line which said "aircraft=0" and I changed that to 6, but again, that does not appear to have changed anything. I also think that this is not what I have to change.

I remain totally confused.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

The only thing this changes is the aircraft symbol on the GTN screen.  :wink:

Aircraft=6  gives you a business jet.  =0 gives you a single engine prop plane..

Does not matter if you change it in the ini file or with the F1 Config app - same thing.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Bert,

WOW, that is GREAT news.  I have been pulling my hair out trying to solve this without bothering you, and that has been weighing heavily on my mind.

Thank you so very very much for your help.  A huge weight off my shoulders.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.