Sign in to follow this  
Shifor

P3D V4 low CPU usage i7-8700k

I set Prepar3D to only use 10 out of 12 of my logical processors, when P3D is loading I get around 80% CPU usage but when I get into the actual simulation the usage plummets to around 20% - 40% and doesn't go any higher. I tried making P3D use all cores, little to no difference.

I know it most likely isn't a bottleneck of any kind since previously I've had P3D V4 run on all cores at 100% CPU usage with fine temperatures and high framerates, only recently it's started doing this.

Specs:

i7-8700k

GTX 1060 6GB

16GB DDR4 3000MHz

250GB SSD 

99d2750dde610d0cca45f9f5451ea490.png

When P3D is in the simulation:

1d4389ec542e9836dc5947dc1c22d069.png

As I said earlier, it can't be a bottleneck since it's been running at 100% before with all cores being used. Doesn't even do that with all cores checked now.

Edited by Shifor

Overall CPU load varies, depending on the amount and complexity level of scenery that needs to be loaded.  Just watch this in real time and you'll see that one cpu core will always carry a steady load, and others will vary from 0 to 100% load.  This is normal behavior.

A better choice would be to deselect cpu3, so that the main P3D load can run by itself on cpu2.

• Upvote 1

Bert