Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Changing Approach Pattern for AI aircraft...

How difficult is it to change the way AI aircraft approach an airport? Sometimes they are vectored into high terrain and are lost before they can make the runway, such as SVMI and KPSP (approach to rwy 13r). Is this a hardcoded thing or something I can fix with minimal problems?Thanks

You want to get in touch with a man named Jim vile who can usually be found hanging around here. He has numerous AFCADS in the library that also contain bgl's that get copied to the FS9SceneryGenericScenery folder which manipulates the ILS and approach patters of airports and thus, AI aircraft. He's an excellent source for this type of info.Hope this helps...

Regards,
Al Jordan
------------
KMLB

AI aircraft will only follow an ILS approach if the weather if VMC.They can be made to avoid terrain, turn on short final and such.Those are normal default behaviors in IMC as the aircraft follow alternate approach procedures - such as the Offset LDA at PHNL or LFPB. The visibility has to be less than 3 miles for the aircraft to follow those type procedures. They will even to a circle to land NDB approach - PADU.To make AI aircraft achieve such movements and terrain avoidance in VMC - we have to create fake ILS approaches. Those are ILS approaches in name only - no ILS is added to the airport.As an example - I've modified the Offset LDA Rwy 25 at LFPB - all I did was change the name to an ILS approach - not the aircraft fly perfectly alongside and parallel to the LFPG pattern, turn about 23 degrees about 1 mile from the threshold and land.I've taken the GPS approach to VNKT and named it an ILS approach - now the AI aircraft curve to the east through the canyon rather than flying through the mountain.Jim is the guy who worked this out - along with so many other things.You can even write an approach from scratch - as he has done with the other 20 and 26 runways at PHNL, and at LOWI.It does require that you understand how approaches are written, and you can use XML and the BGLComp SDK.But it is doable - and SVMI is one airport we really need to look at.The grid structure of FS makes all the aircraft approaching from the south have to fly high to clear the terrain - thus they are not low enough for an approach from the sea.The RNAV Y Rwy 13R approach for KPSP might be in the FS2004 system - I'll have to look at some code to see. It's going to be tough because it will require a 270 degree descending turn to be properly executed from the PSP VOR. That may be beyond the capability of the system to turn so much.Edit - Sorry the only approach in the FS2004 code for KPSP I see is a VOR - a new approach will have to be written for that landing.One other potential issue - AI aircraft flight dynamics are usually written for 5 mile straight in approaches.More than one very good AI aircraft by well respected designers will fall out of the sky when it tries to execute turns on short final.The closer the FDE are to the default MS aircraft - the more stable they are in these type approaches.