Sign in to follow this  
TangoJuliet

GTN/GNS

Hello,

I am thinking to buy GTN 750 for larger aircrafts and GNS 530 for smaller ones such as C182. Would it make sense ?

Could GTN and GNS be crossed ?

A2A aircraft configuration shows panel integration for RXP GNS. Does it apply to the latest models v2 ?

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

The choice of one doesn't exclude the other, both are highly authentic simulations of the real units, not just the look and feel, but the large number of configuration and integration options available.

They both represent 2 different technologies, older button based pixelated displays, newer touch based high-def displays.

They both have their respective strengths: huge amount of features in the GTN but sometimes too many steps needed prior achieving the desired end-result, slightly less features in the GNS but down to the point, most functions are a few button/knobs click away.

Although both the GTN and the GNS databases may be updated with a real world subscription, the latest GTN trainer v6.50 which our product supports ships with a recent cycle 1803 DB. The GNS DB can use the GTN database up to the GTN trainer v6.11 (no longer online, but you might find a download link to this trainer installer or its db file).

I personally tend to prefer the older GNS for basic navigation needs and the GTN for more complex scenario.

Last but not least, both have different sizes and accommodate panel space differently. Having both also gives you more choices among the various existing third party vendor aircraft!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks. Your comments are convincing and I will proceed with both purchases. My only concerns are the outdated databases. Garmin subscriptions cost a fortune and, though I understand their copyright issues, it is a real pity that they do not propose to flight simmers discounted offers for few months old databases that we could certainly live with. On top, Garmin has not been including since January 2016, airports with runways < 4000 feet; quite annoying for light aircraft VFR navigation. To cope with this issue, I used to have the version 1513 database, still including this small airports, but I stupidly lost it, not backing it up, during a system reinstallation. If anyone could provide it, I would greatly appreciate. 

NB: the latest GTN trainer v6.50 adds a new function which permits you creating user waypoints as airports!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks again for your comments.

I purchased and installed the GNS 530. However, I am facing some issues :

Though the GNS seems to work fine in P3D, when checking the good working of the trainer lite 3.30 in the Garmin folder, I cannot have it working; it will not turned on. I still had the trainer lite 3.00 from my previous purchase; no problem with this version. Is it normal ?

Though I understand and respect the copyright issues with Garmin, can't we get more recent navigation, terrain, etc database than 2009-2010 ?

Rgds

Eric L.

Another problem that I am facing ? I can't type in characters. From previous experience, I was remembering it was done through withe mouse scrolling on the right knob, but it does not seem to work and no clues in the too summarized manual coming with the software...

3 hours ago, TangoJuliet said:

the trainer lite 3.30 in the Garmin folder, I cannot have it working; it will not turned on

This is normal and already explained in our forums

can't we get more recent navigation, terrain, etc database than 2009-2010

searching 'database update' in the forum is the first step!

There are more than 2000 messages to search from, I'm sure forum search will give answers.

I was remembering it was done through withe mouse scrolling on the right knob, but it does not seem to work and no clues in the too summarized manual coming with the software...

It works the same, turn the knobs to change entries (char position - outer, char value - inner).

You need to activate the cursor first though in pressing the knob, like before isn't it?

You might want to also try the Gauge | Advanced | Legacy Mouse setting to get similar an experience to the legacy GNS (fancy red/green mouse cursors etc...)

A late thanks to your reply. Though slowly, I am mastering the GNS. Though, it would be good to have a manual more detailed than the 20 pages one coming with the software.

Regarding the database, understood. I still do hope that a reasonable solution will be available in the future... Jeppesen provides update for most flightsim apps. A pity that Garmin does not follow.

6 hours ago, TangoJuliet said:

have a manual more detailed than the 20 pages

Hi, can you please elaborate what seems missing from the manual more specifically?

6 hours ago, TangoJuliet said:

Jeppesen provides update for most flightsim apps

I didn't know this. Which flightsim apps are you referring too for example?