Sign in to follow this  
luckykristian

2d instruments

hello, i am wondering if it would be possible to modify the panel.cfg file so I get the chronometer and standby instruments on separate windows so I can undock them seperately and drag them to different screens?

Welcome to the PMDG forum, please note their forum rules ask us to sign our full name on all posts.

You want to modify the 2D Panel?  I probably read you wrong.  In the VC Cockpit model there are a few 2D popup window for select gauges; however, in ten years of use you are the first one to ask for 2D popups for the clock and backup instrument.  Interesting.  I an curious as to why you would want to do this?

In any event, it is highly unlikely that anything in the NGX is going to be modified in any way because there is a major update in the pipeline.  You may request features that you would like to see on a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I am building a cockpit using the pmdg Ngx since the available suites are way to expensive. that's why it would be nice to be able to have 2d versions of the clock and standby instruments

Hello

Found that topic via a google search. I Hope its ok to refresh !

Is there any update or progress in this thematic ?

Do awnser the question from Dan !

I also plan to build a B737 Cockpit based on PMDG.    The two chronos are problematic at the moment.   Basicly i see 3 ways to build this !

1. Self Programmed Solution

Here i must not get in details. Its advanced and need progamming skills to create Outputs that change Information in case of toggle the buttons. Lots of users just use Software like Sioc-Creator or Mobiflight so its hard to build this. Only by learning a scripting language i think !

Thats why we need a little support of PMDG to give us the DATA.

2. Supported Data to FSUIPC Offsets.

If PMDG will give us the needed Data like in most other instruments we can simply setup our Chrono same way like all other stuff.      There is need a couple of Offsets i think.    At first the Data of the 2x4  7Seg Displays.   In Case they can Blink and swap finaly a STRING Offset (8 Chars that can show "Spaces") will be se best. But also a 2x 2Byte Offset INT will work (Whatever no Blink/flash is possible)   We additional need a 1 Byte INT  (Value 0-59) to show Needle Position and some 1Byte Bool to controll illuminate of the Flags like RUN/STOP TIME/DATE .       Summary all those Offsets must exist 2 times for the 2 chronos.

3. 2D Panel

As Kristian request a Undock Solution of the Chronos will be also perfect. In That case we simply add a little Monitor(VGA) behind the MIP hole and move the undocked Window there. Inputs work already with the EventID.

Last Note:   I See in PMDG 777 for example the Standby Instrument is already available as 2D Window (Instead to the B737 where its not usabele) .  But the Chronometer is laso not possible to undock there.   (Dont own the new Queen and not know that fact)

It would be cool if you can help us here or maby in a future "facelift" versions.

Update:

Badly nobody reply so i have to do research myself....  and i can report i was successfull !

Basicly i think it would be nice already if PMDG will support MORE Data in the future. In case Data is send to FSUIPC we can use "WideFS" to realise Displays and Gauges on Network Computers  ( I personaly not try out but i read a lot that multiple Windows (2D Panels) will reduce Framerate sigenficant.  So... every Display that can be run on Clint Computers would be verry usefull)

About the Qustion from Kristian.

Today i rework first time the "panel.cfg" File...   Basicly easy to understand whatever i need to do lots of further testings to udnerstand all parameters.

To prevent a complete new creating of a "window" i simply backup the original file and "change" the CDU Left Config.

//
// CDU (Left)
//
[Window02]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=385,600
window_size= 0.20052, 0.50000
position=8
visible=0
ident=402
zorder=99

gauge00=PMDG_737NGX!CDU, 0,0,385,600,L #0

So i simply change the last Line into the Clock.

//
// CDU (Left)
//
[Window02]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=385,600
window_size= 0.20052, 0.50000
position=8
visible=0
ident=402
zorder=99

gauge00=PMDG_737NGX!ChronometerPanel, 0, 667, 219, 523, L #1

This will show the 2D Panel....  But also include the Stuff nearby.

the "raw" screen looks like is : PMDG_737NGX!Chrono_Screen,   0, 0, 256,  256, L #3

I Hope This helps !

Edited by pizman82