Sign in to follow this  
Jerrymc3

Active sky

I using P3Dv4 and just purchased Active Sky P3D4 and WideView-64.  I have 2 computers running P3Dv4, one for the main program and the 2nd for left and right side views.  Do I need to run Active Sky on the 2nd computer or just have the clouds installed on that computer?

Jerry

You can set it up as you wish. AS can be run remotely or on local computer. Clouds depends on the cloud program.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, Jerrymc3 said:

or just have the clouds installed on that computer?

In case you didn't know: AS doesn't come with clouds so they also can be installed. 😉 AS works with any cloud that's installed in your sim. 

2 hours ago, J van E said:

AS doesn't come with clouds

No, I didn't realize that.  I was trying to decide whether to get Active Sky or REX SkyForce.  I have REX 3 Essentials Plus Overdrive but I'm not sure if those clouds will work in P3Dv4.

9 hours ago, Jerrymc3 said:

No, I didn't realize that.  I was trying to decide whether to get Active Sky or REX SkyForce.  I have REX 3 Essentials Plus Overdrive but I'm not sure if those clouds will work in P3Dv4.

You made the right choice because AS is the best weather engine out there. SkyForce is a texture addon (mainly focusing on skies and clouds) that comes with a basic weather engine but most people still use AS for weather. Afaik those REX clouds should work fine with P3Dv4 (and Active Sky): I don't know if the installer of REX 3 is compatible with P3Dv4 (check the REX forum for that) but nothing has changed when it comes to the clouds themselves so they should still work.

AS itself doesn't come with clouds but the developers of AS also created an addon called ASCA which does offer sky and cloud textures. AS is able to use ASCA textures dynamically: some people like that. But of course it'll cost you extra money. AS does work with any clouds P3D has installed so also default ones so you can enjoy AS while you think about the clouds you are going to use. 😉

The problem will be, with ASN and wideview ur clouds are not sync on each pc/monitor.

When u see a cloud on the left screen u might be not see it at the front view

• Like 1

I'll buy AS ASAP but currently I'm using a free online thing called FSXWX. I had to install new clouds (free) and to be honest it doesn't look bad. To me  art cloud or whathever textures may not be a must have. It's  your choice but to me the only reason to get AS is the weather radar inclusion and the fact that you can put in a metar as well as covering a wider area. But if you already get good frames I don't think AS would affect that much on performance. 

So far the only good weather program i know that handels the sync over more pcs are, fsgrw i use it now for around 2-3 weeks (befor asn and asca) u can select gow realistic ur weather should be, i missed asn at the start but know i am rly happy with fsgrw and a realistic looking weather

Edited by Funky