Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

CPU Overclock Question re Current Draw vs Volts

My main PC is always pretty heavily overclocked and is left running for about 16hrs a day. Its currently an Asus Z-170 Deluxe with a delidded i7 7700k running at 5.2GHz when under load, using 'Adaptive Voltage'. When at idle, the CPU drops to an astonishing low of about 775MHz at a small fraction of a volt.

For a long time, I've held the belief (perhaps mistakenly???), that while the CPU is not under load, then ramping it way down with 'Adaptive Voltage' was much better for the chip in the long run (I'm not interested in power saving - just longevity of parts).

HOWEVER...  I've recently seen it suggested that this is simply not necessary as, without 'Adaptive Voltage' being set, although the Vcore would remain high even at idle, no harm is being done, as extremely low current is being drawn, only ramping up as it comes under heavier loads.  It was in fact suggested, that the constant 'up & down' of CPU voltage (and fans etc) while using 'Adaptive', MAY actually be more detrimental to my system as a whole, than simply leaving Vcore at consistently higher values.

Your thoughts on this would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

My main PC is always pretty heavily overclocked and is left running for about 16hrs a day. Its currently an Asus Z-170 Deluxe with a delidded i7 7700k running at 5.2GHz when under load, using 'Adaptive Voltage'. When at idle, the CPU drops to an astonishing low of about 775MHz at a small fraction of a volt.

For a long time, I've held the belief (perhaps mistakenly???), that while the CPU is not under load, then ramping it way down with 'Adaptive Voltage' was much better for the chip in the long run (I'm not interested in power saving - just longevity of parts).

HOWEVER...  I've recently seen it suggested that this is simply not necessary as, without 'Adaptive Voltage' being set, although the Vcore would remain high even at idle, no harm is being done, as extremely low current is being drawn, only ramping up as it comes under heavier loads.  It was in fact suggested, that the constant 'up & down' of CPU voltage (and fans etc) while using 'Adaptive', MAY actually be more detrimental to my system as a whole, than simply leaving Vcore at consistently higher values.

Your thoughts on this would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dougal.

Yep, I have heard that too in terms of power saving. That notion has been around for years.

In terms of power saving, the suggestion is that opting for a fixed voltage does not mean that at the end of the quarter you will be screaming and waving your arms in the air because your electricity bill is huge, as the current draw is the issue not the voltage. I have heard this said many times. Probably true in terms of not being as uneconomical as many think, but still advantages to drop voltage at idle, or Intel and AMD would never have implemented the tech in the first place. 

I do not agree that a variable voltage is in any way harmful for the CPU. If there is a degree of validity to that statement, it's not applicable within the CPU's reasonable lifetime. I have been using the variable voltage settings for a very long time and have had zero issues with any of my CPU's. I don't see how temp and voltage changes occurring when you start flight sim (or another game) and end flight sim, would be anywhere near frequent enough and extreme enough to be any issue at all. In fact CPU's are designed to do that. 

Where did you read this Dougal, got a link? From an expert or an armchair expert? I'm thinking it's probably nonsense. 

Incidentally... if you wish to opt for a fixed voltage, there is no need top mess with your BIOS. Simple set Windows Power Options to High Performance. Voltage will remain fixed then. 

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Hi Dougal.

Yep, I have heard that too in terms of power saving. That notion has been around for years.

In terms of power saving, the suggestion is that opting for a fixed voltage does not mean that at the end of the quarter you will be screaming and waving your arms in the air because your electricity bill is huge, as the current draw is the issue not the voltage. I have heard this said many times. Probably true in terms of not being as uneconomical as many think, but still advantages to drop voltage at idle, or Intel and AMD would never have implemented the tech in the first place. 

I do not agree that a variable voltage is in any way harmful for the CPU. If there is a degree of validity to that statement, it's not applicable within the CPU's reasonable lifetime. I have been using the variable voltage settings for a very long time and have had zero issues with any of my CPU's. I don't see how temp and voltage changes occurring when you start flight sim (or another game) and end flight sim, would be anywhere near frequent enough and extreme enough to be any issue at all. In fact CPU's are designed to do that. 

Where did you read this Dougal, got a link? From an expert or an armchair expert? I'm thinking it's probably nonsense. 

Incidentally... if you wish to opt for a fixed voltage, there is no need top mess with your BIOS. Simple set Windows Power Options to High Performance. Voltage will remain fixed then. 

Hi Martin. Hope you and yours are well.  How's the feline member of the family?  Any more wanderlust?

You're totally correct regarding the 'armchair expert' lol. Aren't so many of them. 'X' being an unknown quantity and 'spert' being a drip under pressure;-)

Best wishes

phil

7 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Hi Martin. Hope you and yours are well.  How's the feline member of the family?  Any more wanderlust?

phil

He's doing great Dougal. He's just treated my thigh to a few gentle acupuncture treatments, asking for food. The clock change has thrown him out by an hour. 😀 he's not disappeared for 5 days again, might have been either after the girls or another cat chased him off, territory thing perhaps. 

You're totally correct regarding the 'armchair expert' lol. Aren't so many of them. 'X' being an unknown quantity and 'spert' being a drip under pressure;-)

:biggrin:

Edited by martin-w