Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

The X-Plane version of MCE

Hi all,

I just downloaded the X-Plane demo last night, and the interface is... less than stellar with a screen reader. I have to use OCR for the whole thing.

Not very helpful. However, I thought of MCE's dialogue mode for voice control. I have serious issues when clicking in the X-Plane interface E.G. New Flight. When I was able to click into it, I was able to select a Boeing 737 using OCR, but really didn't know how to select the various filters when searching for an aircraft.

I had issues figuring out where to type the Icao code though. I thought that "airport name" was a good a field as any to either type the name or type the code.

Needless to say I wound up outside of the demo area, but I was mainly concerned with the interface to see how it worked.

Could the MCE dialogue mode in X-Plane, if it exists, provide a seemless experience for me, E.G. set me up at Kilo Sierra Echo Alpha Active, or Gate C6?

X-Plane has serious potential for us blind simmers but the interface at present is horrible. I can't figure out how to get from, say, a flight back to the main menu screen, or a flight back to the flight configuration dialogue to change something if I so choose.

Not only that, there doesn't seem to be a way in the flight area to set up the actual flightplan. The aircraft, starting location etc, but no flightplan for ATC purposes.

Curious if MCE dialog voice mode could help with some of the interface hurdles.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, Orinks said:

Hi all,

I just downloaded the X-Plane demo last night, and the interface is... less than stellar with a screen reader. I have to use OCR for the whole thing.

Not very helpful. However, I thought of MCE's dialogue mode for voice control. I have serious issues when clicking in the X-Plane interface E.G. New Flight. When I was able to click into it, I was able to select a Boeing 737 using OCR, but really didn't know how to select the various filters when searching for an aircraft.

I had issues figuring out where to type the Icao code though. I thought that "airport name" was a good a field as any to either type the name or type the code.

Needless to say I wound up outside of the demo area, but I was mainly concerned with the interface to see how it worked.

Could the MCE dialogue mode in X-Plane, if it exists, provide a seemless experience for me, E.G. set me up at Kilo Sierra Echo Alpha Active, or Gate C6?

X-Plane has serious potential for us blind simmers but the interface at present is horrible. I can't figure out how to get from, say, a flight back to the main menu screen, or a flight back to the flight configuration dialogue to change something if I so choose.

Not only that, there doesn't seem to be a way in the flight area to set up the actual flightplan. The aircraft, starting location etc, but no flightplan for ATC purposes.

Curious if MCE dialog voice mode could help with some of the interface hurdles.

No, MCE doesn't try to interface the X-Plane user interface via voice.

In X-Plane 10 it's not only ugly, but very inconsistent and by LM own admission, looked more like the control panel of a nuclear plant than a flight sim UI.

In X-Plane 11 it was improved massively. However, as a BVI user found out yourself, it's far from a walk in the park.

It also uses the OpenGL graphics system, which many OCR screen readers cannot handle.

I don't think X-Plane is suitable for you to be honest.

The main reason people switch to X-Plane is after being fed-up with limited graphics (blurries) in FSX/P3D.

As a Blind Visually Impaired pilot, you have no need to increase the graphics sliders to maximum, quite the opposite.