Sign in to follow this  
somiller

How to add Scenery and components

Oliver,

I have been struggling trying to get freeware Global AI Ship Traffic into P3Dv4.3 I used P4AO to add the scenery part (.bgl's of ship routes...I think), and the components "SimObjects," Effects," and "Sound," but no ship traffic is showing up, so I am wondering if I have a problem with targeting the wrong directories.

Here is the directory structure in Windows Explorer:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2 (all scenery/component directories are contained in this path), so they look like this:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Scenery\World\scenery

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Simobjects\Boats

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Simobjects\Animals

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Effects\Texture

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Sound

Currently the paths as I have them selected, and showing in P4AO are:

On the scenery tab I have Global Ship AI and the path is:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Scenery\World

On the Other Addons tab I have the following components added in the Ship AI .xml:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Simobjects

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Effects

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\For New Computer\~Prepar3D\Traffic\Global Ship Traffic\Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2\Sound

Any ideas where I might want to make changes to get my traffic to show up in P3D? Obviously this addon has nothing to do with you, but I suspect I may be targeting the wrong directories. Everything shows up green in P4AO, but no traffic in the sim. PLEASE HELP...lol

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hi,

hard to tell when I am not at your computer. I can only give you generic advice at this point:

• Make sure that the ship traffic slider is up in the P3D settings...
  • Limit the length of your file paths. Windows has a hard limit at 256(?) characters, but you never know if some app might still be expecting older (=shorter) path strings.
  • Don't use non-alphanumeric characters in your file paths. There is no guarantee that every program will accept paths containing a "~" for example

Here is my add-on.xml for comparison

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>ShipTraffic</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description />
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Effects</Category>
    <Path>D:\Shiptraffic\Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>D:\Shiptraffic\Simobjects\Boats</Path>
    <Name>ShipModels</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>D:\Shiptraffic\Simobjects\Animals</Path>
    <Name>Animals</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Sound</Category>
    <Path>D:\Shiptraffic\Sound</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>D:\Shiptraffic\scenery\world</Path>
    <Name>ShipTraffic</Name>
    <Layer>128</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

From the looks of it, you may have the simobjects paths wrong. It must be the folder directly "above" the object folders themselves.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Oliver,

Interesting you should mention file, path names - that's one of the things I considered, as I've got a couple of long folder names...I'll shorten them.

I suspect, however, as you mention, that my simobject path is wrong. I'll correct them using your example and see what it does...will report results.

Kind Regards,

Update:

Oliver,

Happy to report that I now have ship traffic. I suspect it was simply that I had the wrong simobject path/s selected. I did shorten my path names, but did not remove "~". Evidently in this case, some non-alpa-numeric characters work.

Goes without saying...what a fantastic program we have in P4AO. I can say without hesitation, that without P4AO my sim would be a boring, lonely place, because I just wouldn't bother to manually add much of what I have installed!

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB