Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stryker

How to fly this approach? (VOR DME circling-to-land)

Guest X-ray

Hello,I have some problems to interpret the chart attached below. Suppose rwy 09 is active, and I'm approaching SAM VOR at 6000 feet with a B734 (cat C), how should I fly this approach?I know I have to fly heading 162 and descend to 3000 feet after the VOR (or radial 162 outbound? - please correct me), then at DME 9 from SAM I have to make a base turn to catch radial 360 inbound the VOR.But what do I have to do then? I assume I have to continue descend to 1850 feet (I'm cat C), and when I have the rwy in sight I should turn left and join the right hand downwind of rwy 09 and proceed for a visual approach on rwy 09. Is this correct or am I wrong? Also when can I continue descend out of 1850 feet?Thanks for your help! If you know airports with similar approaches like this one or Funchal/Madeira please let me know, I really enjoy flying this kind of approaches correctly.Kind regards,Bart

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Cross over SAM at 6000' and fly outbound at the normal approach speed on the 162 radial until 9 miles from SAM. While you are flying outbound descend from 6000 to 3000. At 9 miles make a standard rate turn to the right (3 degrees per second heading change or about 25 degrees of bank) and intercept and track the 360 radial inbound to SAM. When you are 9 miles from SAM established on the 360 radial inbound you can begin your descent to 1850'. Your speed should not exceed 160 KIAS on this inbound leg. The missed approach point is crossing over the VOR.When you have the airport in sight, you will need to maneuver the aircraft to land. If the winds favor runway 9, you will need to turn left to enter a downwind for runway 9 maintaining 1850'. When abeam the numbers fly a normal, right-hand pattern maintaining visual contact with the runway. If the winds favor runway 27 you will turn right and fly a left-hand pattern. This is because the circle-to-land procedure is not authorized north of the airport, so fly the pattern to the south of the runway.Category C aircraft are guaranteed obstacle clearance if they maintain altitude of 1850' within 1.7 NM radius of the approach end of the aircraft, so keep your pattern tight. Circle to land requires that once established in the pattern that visual contact with the runway or runway environment is not obscured by clouds at any time as the aircraft descends below 1850'. If you loose sight of the runway or runway environment because of clouds at any time while maneuvering during the downwind, base or final segments of the pattern, you must execute a missed approach. Beyond the minimum descent altitude (MDA, or 1850' in this case) there is no vertical guidance provided for the pilot. As a result it's up to you not to run into the ground as you turn downwind, base and final during the last stages of the approach, so keep your eyes outside, monitor your altimeter and use any VASI or PAPI that may be available at the airport. As a real world pilot I avoid circling approaches at night for this very reason if I possibly can.That clear things up?

Cindy,Where in the approach chart did you get the 1.7NM from? Hmmm..."Category C aircraft are guaranteed obstacle clearance if they maintain altitude of 1850' within 1.7 NM radius of the approach end of the aircraft, s"Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Ref: US Airman Information Manual, as in FAR-AIM.Want a page number?

>Ref: US Airman Information Manual, as in FAR-AIM.>>>>>>>Want a page number?Yes Please.Manny

Manny

Guest Stryker

100% correct. Additionally, to answer the question "when can I descend below 1850'", it's when:The aircraft is continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuversAlso you have to be able to visually see the runway environment/lights the entire time, and not lose sight of it due to weather like Cindy said. If the runway goes under the wing or something, that's ok.Here are the pertinent sections of FAR 91.175: © Operation below DH or MDA. Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this section, where a DH or MDA is applicable, no pilot may operate an aircraft, except a military aircraft of the United States, at any airport below the authorized MDA or continue an approach below the authorized DH unless

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Manny, looks like Jeremy has provided the page references for you already! Jeremy, congratulations and well done. For any further questions on this particular approach or any other aspects of circling approaches I would be delighted to recommend Jeremy as an excellent resource for authoritative information. Best regards.edited for spelling

You can also pullup the approach chart in the default FS9 GPS receiver and let the autopilot fly the VOR approach for you.VOR-R using Transistion SAM is part of the default database in FS9 as are thousands of Jepp approach charts shipped with FS9 as seen graphically with the GPS receiver.This is a powerful learning tool in FS9 for sim pilots to learn how approaches are flown correctly.The default ATC will also vector you to the SAM Transistion VOR at 6000 ft. if you request this type VOR approach. If you are on a IFR FP you can also "LOAD" "ACTIVATE" The VOR-R SAM Transistion and let the NAV autopilot locked to the GPS switch fly the proper approach at least once. When using the autopilot for any of the thousands of Jepp chart approaches in FS9's database you are responsible for altitudes.

Thank you Cindy and Jeremy.Boy, you learn something new everyday. I have seen this diagram but didn't realize the metrics behind it... I am in the process of my IFR. I am almost done. All I need is practice my checkride and go for it. But I am still learning new tidpits of information.Manny

Manny

Guest Stryker

Best of luck. The instrument rating is IMO one of the most prestigious ratings a pilot can get. The AIM is often overlooked. Chapters 1, 3 and 5 are wonderful sources of information.

Guest X-ray

Cindy and Jeremy,Thanks very much for the very detailed explanation ! I practiced the approach as you explained and it went very smooth!Jim, thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at it !You're great people,Kind regards,Bart

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Good luck I'm sure you'll do great.