Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

i7-8700K OC dilemma

15 hours ago, Thomasso said:

I figured 🙂 The problem is that my CPU starts to overheat above 1.20 V with HT ON. There is just no way around it. I even pumped the H115i on 100 %, both fans and pump. Still massive overheating.

I'm surprised you are seeing overheating at a mere 1.2 volts. My 8700K is cooled with air, a Noctua NH-D15S. When you say "massive heating" precisely what core temp are you seeing measured with RealTemp or CoreTemp? And at what ambient temp.  And how are you stressing the CPU when you see that high temp? If you are running something like Prime 95 that runs AVX instruction sets then you will most definitely see very high temp. Aida 64 if you run FPU will run AVX! You must set an AVX offset.

You could have a hardware issue. Could be the mounting of your cold plate, fan issue, air in system, pump failure etc. Possibly your OC settings, if you have LLC set super high or something. 

That value is truly theoretical, I would not recommend this to anyone, as you massively reduce that life span of your chip at 1.5 V. Do you have HT ON or OFF?

As I said to you... "Theoretical max voltage for the 8700K is 1.5 volts. I'm not recommending that anyone use that voltage, as high temp is the obvious peril, just to give some perspective on why the OP's voltage is relatively low. " I was quoting this voltage as a comparison, your voltage compared to the max Intel recommend. 

I'm not currently overclocking at all, don't need to. But my recent test, cooling with the D15S, at an ambient of around 18C, resulted in 5 GHz with HT on, cant recall temps but quite reasonable. As an experiment to see what the chip could do, it manged 5.2 GHz with HT off.  I will try and track down the values, as I posted about it here. Voltage at 5.2 was 1.4. 

EDIT: These were my recent results with 8700K, delidded with Conductonaut. Maximus X Code, NH-D15S. 

I managed 5.2 GHz on all cores, at 1.4 volts. HT off. Temp was 79 degrees in Cinebench. Ambient was about 20C. With D15S. 

5.3 GHz failed and would have required close to 1.5 volts. Temp would have been too high too. 

Edited by martin-w

13 hours ago, Thomasso said:

The weird thing is that when I turn HT OFF, I can set it to 1.35 V easily and the temps are fine...

it's not weird, HT on increases temp. Usually around ten degrees hotter with HT on. 

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

it's not weird, HT on increases temp. Usually around ten degrees hotter with HT on. 

Yeah but I mean, if I have a hardware issue, it shouldn't handle even HT OFF, right?

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Going to pipe in here guys and tell you about my recent and similar issues with my 6700K.  For a long time I could easily run my system at 4.7 Ghz with HT on, (8 threads), I could also run P3D fine most of the time at 4.8 with HT off, voltages normally around 1.35 and up to 1.4 for 4.8 but recently temps started becoming abnormally high and I had no choice but to switch HT off completely.  Idle temps were sitting around 40 degrees yet used to be around 20 with a Corsair H100 AIO cooler.  I cleaned the cpu and cooler and reapplied new Arctic Silver, temps immediately dropped low again but after a day or two crept back up.  I knew I had a big problem when I could not even run my system at stock cpu speeds and voltages with HT on.  With the sim running my temps went over 90 degrees. 

It was then that I started reconfiguring my case and fans to try and improve airflow.  My Antec 1200 case is huge but not very modern and not great for water coolers and radiators.  It has 3 intake fans at the front but these are not working the best due to their age and at times the bearings rattle, I also have a ton of SSD's and SATA drives behind them in the drive racks which probably affects airflow.  There is a large 200mm plus extractor fan on top and was 2 120mm fans on the rear bringing air in.  The AIO could only fit on the back, was a very tight fit as case not really built for them.  As airflow coming in the front isnt great I configured the AIO with 4 fans, the 2 that came with it and two case fans attached to the other face, I set the fans to bring air in from outside the case, through the radiator then 2 fans pull hot air out into the case and out the extractor fan immediately above it.  All worked well enough until I noticed at times one case fan behind the AIO wasnt turning as clogged up.  I took the whole set up apart and decided to attempt to mount the AIO just below the top fan and just have 2 fans pull air from inside the case through the radiator then immediately out the case, I needed to make sure rear case fan was running at a higher speed.  Delved into my BIOS settings and changed them as they were on Quiet and fan never sped up in past which probably did not help my temps.  No mounting system to mount AIO below roof of case so I did a DIY job using cable ties to hold it there.  Im considering a new build so it wasnt viewed as a long term solution.  When looking for my instructions for cooler I noticed a Corsair Link cable which I never attached.  I used to have an older 120mm H80 which had a lead to attach to a hardware controller you install in a 5.25" bay so I had assumed this was the same thing.  When I googled it I realised it connected to a USB header and allowed control of the fans and pump via software so I sorted that out.  Load temps dropped by 30 degrees.  This was with the case on its side on the floor and side open.  Temps started creeping up as soon as I closed the case and put pc back into its normal position below the desk 😞

I was ready to throw the whole thing out the window, was seriously fed up so changed fans again back to almost the way they were originally, I binned the clogged fan so have 1x 120mm intake attached to the back of the case, the radiator attached to this then 2x 120 fans pulling air into case from radiator then out the top.  With aggressive fan speed settings it appears over the past couple of days to give very low temps, idles below 20 degrees, have registered a min temp on one core at 14 degrees and sim runs for hours and its peaking around 62 degrees but generally in 40s when simming.  I only bought my cooler 30 months ago and its been replaced within that time as a pump on the old one failed so I did not expect it all to have failed again.  Yours may be fine but its the arrangement of your case and fans which may need tweaked.  Can you describe how your cooling is set up, fans and direction of air movement?

Sorry for long post.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm surprised you are seeing overheating at a mere 1.2 volts. My 8700K is cooled with air, a Noctua NH-D15S. When you say "massive heating" precisely what core temp are you seeing measured with RealTemp or CoreTemp? And at what ambient temp.  And how are you stressing the CPU when you see that high temp? If you are running something like Prime 95 that runs AVX instruction sets then you will most definitely see very high temp. Aida 64 if you run FPU will run AVX! You must set an AVX offset.

You could have a hardware issue. Could be the mounting of your cold plate, fan issue, air in system, pump failure etc. Possibly your OC settings, if you have LLC set super high or something. 

As I said to you... "Theoretical max voltage for the 8700K is 1.5 volts. I'm not recommending that anyone use that voltage, as high temp is the obvious peril, just to give some perspective on why the OP's voltage is relatively low. " I was quoting this voltage as a comparison, your voltage compared to the max Intel recommend. 

I'm not currently overclocking at all, don't need to. But my recent test, cooling with the D15S, at an ambient of around 18C, resulted in 5 GHz with HT on, cant recall temps but quite reasonable. As an experiment to see what the chip could do, it manged 5.2 GHz with HT off.  I will try and track down the values, as I posted about it here. Voltage at 5.2 was 1.4. 

EDIT: These were my recent results with 8700K, delidded with Conductonaut. Maximus X Code, NH-D15S. 

I managed 5.2 GHz on all cores, at 1.4 volts. HT off. Temp was 79 degrees in Cinebench. Ambient was about 20C. With D15S. 

5.3 GHz failed and would have required close to 1.5 volts. Temp would have been too high too. 

I measure the temps using Core Temp. Some cores go over 90C when I start stressing the system. Ambient temp might have been around 22C.

I use Prime95 and AIDA64 for testing. Did not alter any settings, no idea what AVX is 🙂.

I don't know about an HW issue... I remounted the thing multiple times, used after market Noctua paste. Pump is indicating 3000 rpm in Corsair Link software, fans are over 2000 rpm. I have no way to check if the cold plate is mounted correctly.

What is LLC?

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, Thomasso said:

I measure the temps using Core Temp. Some cores go over 90C when I start stressing the system. Ambient temp might have been around 22C.

I use Prime95 and AIDA64 for testing. Did not alter any settings, no idea what AVX is 🙂.

I don't know about an HW issue... I remounted the thing multiple times, used after market Noctua paste. Pump is indicating 3000 rpm in Corsair Link software, fans are over 2000 rpm. I have no way to check if the cold plate is mounted correctly.

What is LLC?

Okay... some synthetic stress tests like Aida 64 (with FPU ticked) and Prime95 will run AVX 2 instruction sets. AVX pushes the CPU to the absolute extreme, way beyond its normal level. Thus temps shoot up dramatically and can cause an overclocked CPU to throttle back and if it reaches TJ Max shut down.

Now the thing is, flight sim and games dont run AVX. Only stress tests run AVX and some applications like Handbrake for example.

Due to the AVX overheating issue, motherboard manufacturers include an AVX offset setting in the BIOS. Set it to 3 for example, and when the BIOS detects you are running AVX it will automatically down clock by 300 MHz and thus your CPU will not overheat. 

I suggest you set the AVX offset to 3, and also, if you intend to carry on using Aida64 to stress test, then DONT tick the FPU box. If you run Prime, download the older version that doesn't run AVX.

Following the advice above should solve your issue.

If you dont know what LLC (load line calibration) is and have never heard of AVX then you have very limited overclocking knowledge and should study some overclocking guides.

Good luck. 🙂