Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

P3D v4.3 high GPU usage

I restored my Windows 10 PC due to an "svchost" running in the background (I believe it was a virus) and it REALLY lowered framerate for ANY game.

So, framerate is fine, however, my GPU usage is way too high! 

it's at 99% to 100% at FlightBeam KSFO with the default F-22. Now, I can't show you my settings (i'm not at home at the time of this writing) but, I do have everything in the "World" settings maxed out besides "High resolution textures", "Water quality", "Special effects" and "Dynamic autogen". Keep in mind, I used these settings FOR MONTHS and CPU and GPU usage was around 50% to 60%. (CPU usage isn't a problem) however, my GPU is running way too much.

I installed the latest drivers via the GeForce Experience application, and drivers were a breeze. Other games like, Beamng.drive, ROBLOX, etc. don't even go CLOSE to 100%. (Beamng.drive is an intense game and I run full settings with no full GPU usage!).

I also noticed half my AI traffic was gone at SFO. (I doubt it's the GPU's fault as I put in a flight schedule and it may have messed something up.) 

So I would like to know what's happening. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's UTLive, I uninstalled it, but I haven't tested it yet. 

I hope I can get this solved without my GPU turning into shreds 😉

-Aaron 

Edited by arwasairl

11 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

I restored my Windows 10 PC due to an "svchost" running in the background (I believe it was a virus) and it REALLY lowered framerate for ANY game.

it's at 99% to 100% at FlightBeam KSFO with the default F-22. Now, I can't show you my settings (i'm not at home at the time of this writing) but, I do have everything in the "World" settings maxed out besides "High resolution textures", "Water quality", "Special effects" and "Dynamic autogen". Keep in mind, I usedd these settings FOR MONTHS and CPU and GPU usage was around 50% to 60%. (CPU usage isn't a problem) however, my GPU is running way too much.

I installed the latest drivers via the GeForce Experience application, and drivers were a breeze. Other games like, Beamng.drive, ROBLOX, etc. don't even go CLOSE to 100%. (Beamng.drive is an intense game and I run full settings with no full GPU usage!).

I also noticed half my AI traffic was gone at SFO. (I doubt it's the GPU's fault as I put in a flight schedule and it may have messed something up.) 

So I would like to know what's happening. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's UTLive, I uninstalled it, but I haven't tested it yet. 

-Aaron 

Same thing happened to me (not the virus, bu the high GPU usage). I had to turn down some settings that were GPU dependent. I would lower some of your settings and then you will see lower usage of your GPU. There's a file around the Avsim forum that will tell you which settings are CPU and GPU dependent, so you can see what you might want to lower.

Edited by Shinx13

Reynaldo Rodriguez

Philadelphia, PA

VATSIM | ZNY S3

signature-dark.png

JBU427.png

1 hour ago, Shinx13 said:

Same thing happened to me (not the virus, bu the high GPU usage). I had to turn down some settings that were GPU dependent. I would lower some of your settings and then you will see lower usage of your GPU. There's a file around the Avsim forum that will tell you which settings are CPU and GPU dependent, so you can see what you might want to lower.

While that might be a logical solution for most people, I'm just wondering why my GPU is running at 100% even though before I restored my PC, it wasn't running so high.

However, I've decided that i'll update Windows, and if that doesn't work i'll update the BIOS.

Edited by arwasairl

2 hours ago, arwasairl said:

it's at 99% to 100% at FlightBeam KSFO with the default F-22. Now, I can't show you my settings (i'm not at home at the time of this writing) but, I do have everything in the "World" settings maxed out besides "High resolution textures", "Water quality", "Special effects" and "Dynamic autogen". Keep in mind, I used these settings FOR MONTHS and CPU and GPU usage was around 50% to 60%. (CPU usage isn't a problem) however, my GPU is running way too much.

-Aaron 

Starting with the basics have u tried a fresh cfg. rebuild and shader delete?

Back up and delete your main cfg. Delete your shader folder then reinstall your GPU driver.  Load P3D and test

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

I used a fresh .cfg and it used about 60% GPU at FlightBeam SFO.

I reinstalled my drivers, and still no change.

I haven't tried deleting shaders, so i'll do that.

EDIT:

I was at the *DEFAULT* airport with the F-22, fresh cfg and shaders (from the APPDATA/Local folder) and still 70% GPU.

Edited by arwasairl

7 hours ago, arwasairl said:

However, I've decided that i'll update Windows, and if that doesn't work i'll update the BIOS.

Windows was up to date, and I went to DELL's website, and I'm using the latest BIOS.

I was using TomatoShade, I undone all the Dynamic reflections, restored default shaders, deleted the ShadersHLSL folder, uninstalled the client, reinstalled, and STILL, GPU is 55%. (Default F-22, and airport!)

I then used my settings i use, and GPU usage is 97%.

Also keep in mind, CPU usage goes to ~85% when loading, then drops back to normal usage. 

Another thing is that I haven't seen any performance increases with 99% GPU. I should expect to see at least better frames, or faster loading autogen, but it's still the same as ever.

Edited by arwasairl

I now know 95% GPU usage with most settings maxed out is completely normal.

Pfff! I spent all that time for nothing, but oh well looks like I'm going SLI. (And my wallet is going to heaven to!)

6 hours ago, arwasairl said:

I now know 95% GPU usage with most settings maxed out is completely normal.

Pfff! I spent all that time for nothing, but oh well looks like I'm going SLI. (And my wallet is going to heaven to!)

I would rethink the SLI bit if I were u

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, arwasairl said:

maybe... but it would be nice

SLI does give a good performance boost but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, arwasairl said:

maybe... but it would be nice

I ran 2 1080ti's in SLI for a little bit.  Performance was much improved over the single card however:

- I could fry eggs on the top card

- Finding a driver that worked correct was almost impossible.  Had constant sound crackling issues.

- Does not work well with Realight

- SLI does not work well in Xplane 11

- If I undocked a window and dragged it to another monitor SLI would automatically stop working till u restarted P3D.

My advice stay with one card.  A single 1080ti will run P3D fairly well.  I bit the bullet and went with a 2080ti.  Id say I'm getting a little bit better performance compared to the dual 1080ti's with out the headache

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

I ran 2 1080ti's in SLI for a little bit.  Performance was much improved over the single card however:

- I could fry eggs on the top card

- Finding a driver that worked correct was almost impossible.  Had constant sound crackling issues.

- Does not work well with Realight

- SLI does not work well in Xplane 11

- If I undocked a window and dragged it to another monitor SLI would automatically stop working till u restarted P3D.

My advice stay with one card.  A single 1080ti will run P3D fairly well.  I bit the bullet and went with a 2080ti.  Id say I'm getting a little bit better performance compared to the dual 1080ti's with out the headache

Alright, I'll take the advice.