Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

11.30RC1 Performance

On 1/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, onurair said:

Do any of you guys experience stutters? With RC2 I have around 30 - 40 frames but the movements are not fluent.
I tried different aircraft and different airports.. 

My specs: i7 6700k @ 4.6 HT on
                 1080Ti 11GB
                 32GB 3200Mhz RAM

Propably there is a setting in the nvidia control panel I have to change. I also seem to have screen tearing when only Half refresh rate is set in the nvidia control panel and vsync not checked in the sim.

I get fluid performance but sometimes will get a one or two second pause for no reason.  It may be related to AI coming in or out of view, but I am not sure.  My GPU does not have a lot of VRAM.  I just grimace my way thru the pauses which do not happen very often, maybe one every half hour or so, and likely on final and on a long flight, never on a short flight.  Also if I do a full 360 degree pan as I enter a city and I am beginning my pattern work, that will load all the scenery and no stutter, although there might be one during the pan, which I do as a preventative so I can have a smooth final.

John

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

I get fluid performance but sometimes will get a one or two second pause for no reason.  It may be related to AI coming in or out of view, but I am not sure.  My GPU does not have a lot of VRAM.  I just grimace my way thru the pauses which do not happen very often, maybe one every half hour or so, and likely on final and on a long flight, never on a short flight. 

I don't think the stutter you're seeing is due to VRAM on your video card. I have less VRAM than you and I don't get stutters (GTX970, 3.5 GB usable VRAM).

It's probably your low amount of system RAM. Eight GB is the bare minimum for X-Plane, and the recommended spec is much higher ("16-24 GB RAM or more" on the official XP site). A stutter can happen at the transition point when a new .dsf tile loads as you're flying, if you don't have enough system RAM.

That's especially likely if you're using the HD or UHD terrain mesh, or (maybe) with orthophoto scenery. The reason you may not be seeing the stutter on short flights, and you do see it on longer flights, is that you're not covering enough distance to load the next .dsf tile. That's why I'm suspecting low system RAM as the culprit.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

42 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I don't think the stutter you're seeing is due to VRAM on your video card. I have less VRAM than you and I don't get stutters (GTX970, 3.5 GB usable VRAM).

It's probably your low amount of system RAM. Eight GB is the bare minimum for X-Plane, and the recommended spec is much higher ("16-24 GB RAM or more" on the official XP site). A stutter can happen at the transition point when a new .dsf tile loads as you're flying, if you don't have enough system RAM.

That's especially likely if you're using the HD or UHD terrain mesh, or (maybe) with orthophoto scenery. The reason you may not be seeing the stutter on short flights, and you do see it on longer flights, is that you're not covering enough distance to load the next .dsf tile. That's why I'm suspecting low system RAM as the culprit.

Makes sense to me, and usually a fresh reboot before I run Xplane or P3D results in smoother performance.  RAM can become fragmented after a long session on a system, especially since I sometimes multitask and use a browser to pull up airport charts, etc