I've tried a couple of VR sets and find them quite uncomfortable, somewhat claustrophobic and very awkward with my much needed spectacles. So I wondered whether 3d glasses might give me a better experience. I tried a low tech red/blue pair of cheap 3d glasses with a 3d setting on my bog standard monitor and although there was no colour as such I quite liked the experience, for a few minutes. Am I right in assuming that to go hi tech with 3d glasses I need a special monitor and Nvidia or similar 3d specs? If so does anyone know the approximate cost to set this all up on, say, a 1080 or slightly higher res monitor?

What is the comparable cost between a 3d glasses hardware set up versus full VR with a headset and associated 3d gear? If anyone has experience with this kind of thing I would really appreciate some info and views on the comparison between 3d glasses and VR in practice. Thank you.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

there are prescription lenses available for the occulus rift if you didn't consider that option. can't speak as to the comfort at all.

Hi Robert, I'm using the Nvidia 3dvision setup since 2011 and have had a lot of joy with it. I'm still using it in online flying over vatsim in the good old FSX and FSX-SE because there are no 3dvision drivers for Prepar3d or X-plane and will never come. There are also a few short comings in using these with FSX because they never fixed the 2d light problems in it for 3D use so you are limited to daylight flying. A new downside for using the good old FSX who is running very well on modern hardware is the fact that the modern scenery's and planes are in beautiful HD now and you are running very quick in the old OOM problems or better to say, the 4Gb limitation in FSX and the SE version. There is no way to go around these issue. Yes, there is... going to a real x64 sim like P3dV4 or X-Plane but back to the beginning.... No development for a 3DVision driver.

I decided to step over to VR, my hardware is ready for it and collected myself a second hand Samsung Odeyssey and oh boy, what an experience and the immersion is 1000x better than the 3D option I was so proud and happy with for 7 years BUT... The graphical quality is worse... I personally have to wait for the NextGen VR headsets with real HD quality on the eye instead of a old VHS camcorder quality per eye.

Good luck...

(PS: there are lots of second hand Nvidia 3DVision systems available but be remember, you also need a 120hz 3Dvision ready monitor for it)