Sign in to follow this  
seahorse

PM not checking MCP/Instrument settings at all

My first experience with FS2CREW was with the LevelD Voice Commander.
I really like (need) to have some help in the cockpit, especially while takeoff en landing manually.

So I decided to also get the FS2CREW Ngx reboot for my PMDG 737ngx

Big was my surprise that a lot of things were not working anymore compared to the LevelD Voice Commander
Yes, that's an "old" software, but somehow I assumed it would getting more performant, right? Not so ...

Whenever I "declare" my MCP settings (HDG,SPD,ALT ....) when flying with autopilot, my PM would always reply with "checked"
Excuse me sir, I just said FL280 but the real setting is FL330 and you just reply with "checked" Did you ever look at the MCP, checked? Did you?
I don't think so! This is quite disappointing to me as it is useless to declare anything during flight as it really doesn't matter what you say. Not realistic at all!

And yes, the PM in the LevelD Voice Commander does check, if you give the wrong values he want reply. It would have been nicer if he would reply with "Are you sure?" like in other cases
of mistakes you make but at least he will keep silent, until he hears the correct value and than repeat that value followed by "checked" That's realistic!

In many replies of the developer I read that this is the most sold/used FS2CREW software so it's assumed bug free.

So I guess I'm out of luck, it's not a bug but how it's supposed to behave?

Cheers,

Luc

Edited by seahorse

Luc Jonckheere

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 - Intel Core i7 4790K / 4.4GHz - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO - Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - 2 x Western Digital Black, 2 TB

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Gaming - Cooler Master V1000

Windows 7 prof/ 64b - FSX sp2 - UTX eur - GEX eur - PMDG 737NGX

Hi Luc,

The reason the PM doesn't actually verify that, for example, "Heading 270" (when you say it) is actually heading 270 in the MCP is because the speech recognition system may not detect your words correctly all the time.

Our speech recognition system is pretty good (my accuracy is over 90 percent), but it's not 100 percent all the time.

So you could say "heading 270", but the speech recognition system in some cases may not hear that correctly, and then your FO could say "Are you sure about that", even though the MCP is actually set to 270.

That could get irritating.

So it's not because we can't do that (it's easy to code), it's because the potential added value isn't greater than the potential negatives of hearing "Are you about that" when there's no problem to begin with.

Clear as mud?

Hi Bryan,

yes, I certainly understand the annoyance it might produce. i have this annoyance whit voxatc where I have to repeat myself.
I think it would be fair to say that my accuracy would also be (or close to) 90 % because when I check in the green bar it's always correct.
Moreover, the LevelD voice commander solution by not to respond at all is actually better (my opinion 😉  ) than just say "checked"

So I understand why you omitted this functionality. However I feel it should have been an option inside the soft where you either activate or deactivate this functionality. So for those not having issues with it could actually use it.

Btw, I never had voice recognition problems with LevelD voice commander, at least not with values. I just know how it will react because I tested it after I found out that the ngx version just replies with "checked". I always get confirmation from the PM in LevelD from the first try.

I hope you will reconsider to add this as on option in a possible future release because it really makes a difference in the immersion factor

Cheers,

Luc

Luc Jonckheere

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 - Intel Core i7 4790K / 4.4GHz - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO - Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - 2 x Western Digital Black, 2 TB

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Gaming - Cooler Master V1000

Windows 7 prof/ 64b - FSX sp2 - UTX eur - GEX eur - PMDG 737NGX