Sign in to follow this  
rogwen

fs9 texture size problem

I have a scenery, not made by me but updated by me, and there seemed to be a problem with the speed of FS9 reading and then displaying one of the original buildings. So I decided to mip all the original textures as well as the new, in case that was what caused the problem. I used imagetool to open them and add the mipmaps, and it reported that 4 of them could not be opened because of "corrupted image dimensions". Next step was to open them in photoshop to see the details of size etc.

I will give the details of only one of them to simplify this: 256 x 256 pixels, 9.03 x 9.03 cm, 72 pixels per inch (or 28.346 pixels per cm, if you prefer).

I then opened one that had not been a problem, and found it was also 256 x 256 pixels, 9.03 x 9.03 cm, and 72 pixels per inch.

What other dimensions can be corrupted? Any ideas?

I've had this happen many times, the only way I know to fix it is to open it and save it with DXTBMP. I don't know what causes it, but that works for me.

Probably no alpha channel. The textures not working will be a little smaller than the working ones. THere is a batch tool available which does this for all textures:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&Sort=Author&ScanMode=0&Name=&FileName=&Author=&DLID=187538&Page=1

It just adds an alphachannel if a texture doesn't have one.

When editing FS textures it is always safest to open them with dxtbmp and send them to an editor of your choice from there. Once modified and saved in the editor, you can refresh the image in dxtbmp and save it in the proper format.