Sign in to follow this  
Dewey

FSX Demo - is it just me, or....?

I downloaded the FSX demo and ran it. I'm not at all impressed. A Baron was taking off in the first sequence and it turned into a slide show - looong pauses, and constant stutters. Then everything went under water - buildings, planes, runways, everything was under water. A 747 was taking off in water up to the wings.I flew a demo flight. Graphics were not as awesome as I had hoped. Then I closed that flight and tried to launch another one. It got to 98% loading objects and scenery and then locked up. I had to shut down the demo and launch it again.I flew another flight in a heavy jet. It had no 2D cockpit and the virtual cockpit was primitive looking by today's standards. The view made it appear that you were sitting almost against the panel. When moving the view back, the gauges became unreadable.My computer is not the finest, smoking gaming computer in the world, but it isn't a slug, either. It's a 3.2 Ghz with 2 gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 XT with 256 mb of DDR RAM. So I can't understand the slide show with the Baron taking off. There wasn't that much other scenery in view to cause it to pause and stutter.And I don't understand the terrain suddenly going underwater.Is my experience with this demo different from others? Tell me about yours so I'll have some kind of reasonable basis to judge FSX and my system capabilities.Thanks.Dewey

Guest diajohn2

Dewey,You seem to have a problem. Remove and reload.

Also, pop over to the FSX sub forum. Plenty of information on the demo and other user experiences.Ian.

Guest oyvindhansen

Seems to me that you haven't taken the necessary time to tweak your settings (and expectations). Turn off the ugly AI and turn on some water effects. Most other settings can be kept quite low for now. The demo is certainly playable on my very average computer and water landings in the Beaver are spectacular. The water reflections are a little overdone perhaps...-

Guest Trans_601

Guys,Remember FSX is currently at beta 2 stage, and to my knowledge thre will be 5 beta's before final release.I'm running the beta now reasonably well, my system is nothing spectacular - but you'll need to slide down a lot of settings to accomplish this.

Tweak my "expectations"? Are you kidding me? The entire terrain submerged in water and you're suggesting I tweak my expectations? What kind of utter foolishness is that?Dewey

Thank you for the suggestion, John, but I have already done that. It's usually among the first things to try after tweaking settings in FS.Dewey

>Tweak my "expectations"? Are you kidding me? The entire>terrain submerged in water and you're suggesting I tweak my>expectations? What kind of utter foolishness is that?>>DeweyEDIT: Ok, that was a "I haven't had enough coffee yet" response. I apologize.Your card is somewhat dated, especially for a brand new game. While the geometry in the demo may not look that much more crowded out of the box, there is a lot more going on there. Anyways, definitely try the redownload, as I haven't witnessed that issue either. Also, when I ran the "Intro Flight" thing, it was pretty slow too, until I completely tweaked, and then it only ran a little bit slow.Sorry, and I hope you get it working. It took some work for me, and you have a slightly better system.-Brian

Yes, there is a lot of info there, Ian. Thanks. But so far it seems my experience with the flooded terrain is unique. I may have to download the complete demo again and reinstall it just to be sure that isn't the problem. I was just hoping that others had experienced the same thing and perhaps had a "fix" for it. You know, it's the old "with all this horse manure, there has to be a pony in here somehwere" kind of attitude.Thanks for responding.Dewey

Yes. That would be foolish. That's why I didn't suggest such a thing.Dewey

No problem, Brian. No offense taken.Have a great day.Dewey

Guest oyvindhansen

>Tweak my "expectations"? Are you kidding me? The entire>terrain submerged in water and you're suggesting I tweak my>expectations? What kind of utter foolishness is that?>>DeweyIt has been clear all the time that this is a preview of a product yet unfinished, and that there would be issues. Take it for what it is! I will be more careful in the future and not bother with anything written by you.-

Guest KrazyIvan

Dewey,You're right...nobody else seems to be experiencing these symptoms. Could you tell us where your graphics sliders are set to, and have you checked to see that you have the latest ATI drivers?

Thank you, Oyvind. I look forward to not hearing from you.Dewey

I continue to experiment with slider settings, but so far none of them have affected the flooded terrain.Yes, I do have the latest drivers.Thanks for responding with these ideas, though.Dewey