Sign in to follow this  
sandy01

Aircraft locations

:huh:

I would like to store the SimObjects file on a drive that does not contain FSX. My configuration currently F:\Program Files (X86),Microsoft Games, Microsoft  Flight Simulator X,SimObjects, Airplanes. By creating different regions. around the world, ie; China D:\Addon Scenery you do not have to load the rest of the world(saving a lot of overhead). I would like to do the same thing with Airplanes but have not found the right path. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

sandy01

Don't know if you can store SimObjects elsewhere as they might depend on Library files or other files in FSX to load aircraft?  You would also need a method to "point" Steam to the SimObjects location.

But regardless, for various reasons previous discussed in this and other Forums, FSX (via disc) or FSX-Steam apps should ideally be installed in the root directory, and in not the Program Files (X86).

Yes, it actually is possible to do this. It is possible to create a "Symbolic Link" within the FSX [root] directory/folder to ...\simobjects (or to ...\simobjects\airplanes), and to then be able to place the *actual* simobjects folder anywhere you wish... including onto any drive and into any folder you wish. With this method, FSX essentially "thinks", or is being tricked into thinking, that it is accessing & using the folder within its own folder when, in fact, it is not.

I have done this, and it works perfectly. Orbx sceneries for example *must* be installed into the FSX root folder but, for obvious storage reasons, I wanted to store all Orbx on a much larger drive more dedicated to such storage. Um, so I did! I created the Symbolic Link "Orbx" in my FSX root directory, and all Orbx scenery is actually being stored on & used from my larger D drive, in a folder that I created called "FSX Scenery Addons". I also did this with the "Addon Scenery" folder and a few other times. Keep in mind though that access times related to items placed elsewhere but which are accessed in this manner will be a function of the drive upon which they are actually located.

Here are some great references that describe exactly how to go about it all:

*     https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

*     https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/142746-purchase-ftx-germany-south/

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro