Sign in to follow this  
svenks

"Acknowledge" missing...

Hi All

I have managed to get RCv4 and P3Dv4 to play along rather nicely, thanks to the various posts in this forum. But I do have 1 strange little item:

I have actually made 2 installations of RCv4, one WideFS based and one directly on my Gamer PC. I would rather use the WideFS one, as I really don't want too much stuff on my gaming PC.

And it does work OK, except the the "Acknowledge" menu point is missing when I use WideFS. This is annoying, as it often is the only clue you have saying "You may have missed something". Even stranger,

the ACK key combination (CTRL-7 for me) still works, even if the prompt is not there.

When I use the non-WideFS installation, all prompts are there...

ANy ideas, anyone?

BRGDS

Sven Sorensen, EKCH  

Sven, strange problem. What are you using on the WideFS PC for RC. ShowText?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

Thanks for taking time to look into this.

Further testing have shown me that the missing prompt DOES in fact appear - but it takes forever to appear!

My setup is this: RCv4 options: Displaytext ON, FSuipc: Multi-line Window ON, and hide all single line messages=true.

Then Showtext diplays the RCv4 text and FSUIPC5's builtin simconnect message window show the menu prompts.

However, if I do use Displaytext on the WideFS setup, RCv4 seems to wait for a long time for some event to occur.

Why this only happens in WideFS and not with a local RCv4 setup, I don't know.

Too bad, if I have to drop the DisplayText setting. As English is not my first language, I could easily get some numbers wrong.

If, you have any ideas, please let me hear them!

BRGDS

Sven

Sven,

What's this DisplayText thing you refer to? Do you mean ShowText?

I've turned off my computers for the night but will check my settings tomorrow.

I have no problem running RC4 across a network and button presses are acknowledged immediately. You probably have something configured wrong. You don't need to have any windows for RC / Simconnect showing on the FS computer.

How are the two computers connected? Ethernet or wi-fi? Does the WideClient log or wideserver log show anything unusual?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sven,

You need to turn off the Display Text option in General. All should be okay after that.

JD included this in this locked topic years ago...

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

I see you did find out what I meant by DisplayText option 🙂

My experience is the same. With DisplayText OFF, the problem goes away.

However, as I said: Turning that option OFF, means that I wont have any means (except for "say again") for verifying what was said.

It has happened more than once that I've missed the last digit of the squawk code, and pressed ACK before I realized it was wrong = no "Say Again".

Oh, well. I will try to boost performance on the RCv4 PC (a virtual machine) and see if that might help, but I have no indications that the VM in question has any kind of ressource trouble.

I take it, that you don't use DisplayText ON?

BRGDS

Sven

Hi Sven,

No, I don't have Display Text on. JD specifically says not to use it if responses are slow.

I suspect your virtual PC might be the reason. Do you have access to another old PC or laptop? RC requires very few resources. I don't know of anyone that has run RC4 / WideFS on a Virtual machine. Maybe you could ask Pete Dowson if there are any known problems running WideFS on such a system.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have been running this setup for years, without RC4 though. I have AS16, FSC and PFPX there as well, and never had performance issues at all.

That is why I also suspect that giving more ressources to the VM will not help  - and it didn't.

I am flying as we speak, and right now I had the problem, where I misheard FL 340 for 240.

Well, I can always go back to RCv4 on the FS pc. That will give me the option of seeing the text.

Thanks for you help,

BRGDS Sven

Sven,

Can you show me a screenshot of what you're seeing on the virtual PC?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather