Sign in to follow this  
barticus301

Prepar3d V4 Graphics card Dilema

Hi Guys Im looking for some advice on what would be the best way in graphic cards for P3DV4 I have recently built a new computer having my old one being a bit dated so im using the Aorus X470 motherboard with the Ryzen 7 2700X  3.7GHZ Processor 750 watt power supply with patriot signature 16gb DDR4 ram and my graphics card being the NVIDIA Geforce GTX1060 3GB. Im using my Oculus rift CV1 for my flying along with flyinside and the oculus tray tool. My question is this I am thinking of purchasing a Nvidia GTX1070 8gb so in a couple of months I can buy another one to run alongside it or would I be better just buying a GTX1080ti ?  

• Like 1

I also use VR for P3D V4. I also am looking at a GPU upgrade. I am using the Samsung Odyssey+. Don't know if its the same with the Oculus rift C1 but I have found that by far the most important graphical setting for immersion in VR is AA.

I would rather have all other setting low so that I can have 8xSSAA than sacrifice AA for more autogen or shadows or lighting or draw distance.

I've decided that getting that 8xSSAA and decent eye candy in VR (IMO decent eye candy in VR requires far lower setting than it does on a flat screen) will require me to get a 1080ti to replace the 980ti I already have.

My best guess is that a 1080ti in P3D is far better than 2 x GTX1070 8gb in SLI.

SLI is word not allowed in P3D!

Hi Dave thanks for the reply and your settings you use im finding it hard at the minute to see what settings people are using in P3DV4 using VR theres not much out there at the minute so going to try the 8XSSAA. Also I am thinking maybe best to go with the GTX1080ti.

Regards Glynn

19 minutes ago, barticus301 said:

Hi Dave thanks for the reply and your settings you use im finding it hard at the minute to see what settings people are using in P3DV4 using VR theres not much out there at the minute so going to try the 8XSSAA. Also I am thinking maybe best to go with the GTX1080ti.

Regards Glynn

Good luck with the 8SSAA I don’t think you’ll achieve that in VR. I only use 8 MSAA  in VR coupled with 1.7 pixel density using the Oculus debug tool it works the same as the tray tool. I find this satisfying to fly in VR. Something to keep in mind if you can’t hold sufficient frames you will get Judder the term for stutter in VR and it’s quite bothersome and can even make you sick. Also under 4Ghz on a processor is going to push it very hard for VR frames so it will not only be the graphics card limiting frames.

See my specs in the signature below and you’ll see my setup. But regardless of the AA level you might achieve I would go for the single card either the 1080ti or better yet the 2080ti but that’s quite expense.

Joe

Edited by joepoway
  • Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

17 minutes ago, joepoway said:

Good luck with the 8SSAA I don’t think you’ll achieve that in VR.

You right. It's a tall order. It requires very low CPU and GPU setting across the board. In rural scenarios I can make it work with GA aircraft and get 30+fps

Forget about it in any heavy hitting scenario. But in scenarios where it works its awesome. I am of course only specking for the Samsung Odyssey+. I think the pixel density setting is 1.4 to match the native resolution of the odyssey+

My system is i7 4770K at 4.8ghz with a 980ti. I'm on the hunt for a 1080ti right now and I'm confident I'll get setting I can live with at 8xSSAA with that card.

I would get the 1080ti as well... But I would hurry, because when I got mine it was the last one on the shelf at my local Microcenter, and they aren't getting any more. Stocks are dwindling, especially as people realize the 2xxx series isn't really significantly better than the 1080ti in most games.

I finally got me a 1080ti a couple of days ago.🤣

Steer well clear of SLI - even in "normal" games its a hit or a miss, its generally accepted that SLI is not a good idea for P3D.

I would always advocate getting this single most powerful Nvidia GPU you can afford for P3D.

With AMD's Radeon VII about to launch it could force Nvidia prices down (if it performs), so either hang off and hopefully see price drop on new Nvidia cards or try to find a second hand 1080Ti (that hasn't been abused by a crypto-miner)

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display