Sign in to follow this  
LeifApex

FSX:SE steam initialisation failed

Hello,

I recently tried to lighten the load on my CPU by following this video:

And after i restarted my PC, my FSX desktop icon was turned into "Microsoft flight simulator.url" instead of FSX.exe. Along with this, when i try to open fsx from the root folder, it says that steam initialisation failed.So know i have to manually boot steam and then start fsx manually every time. also, when i try to make a new desktop icon of fsx from steam, it still places the .url.

I have undone all the videos steps and i can't get it to work. Any suggestions?

Edit: I have now found that all my steam games that i had installed before doing this are replaced by the "game name.url"

Edited by LeifApex
update

Just as a general point for anyone watching this video, at 1:15 when he ticks the "Boot Advanced Option, Number of processors", don't do this unless you need to LIMIT the number of processors used by the OS. Leave the box unticked even though it appears to indicate that only one processor is being used. By default, Windows uses all of the available processors/cores and this box should only be used if you want to specifically limit the number used for debugging or troubleshooting reasons. There's an urban myth circulating that because "1" is shown in the greyed-out box, that's somehow all that Windows is using!

9 hours ago, LeifApex said:

I have undone all the videos steps and i can't get it to work. Any suggestions?

If you haven't had any system updates or installed any software since you changed the settings, try going back to a restore point created before you made the changes - go to Control Panel / Recovery / Open System Restore. As a general principle, it's never a good idea to mess with these lower-level settings and processes unless you really know what you're doing.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

16 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Just as a general point for anyone watching this video, at 1:15 when he ticks the "Boot Advanced Option, Number of processors", don't do this unless you need to LIMIT the number of processors used by the OS. Leave the box unticked even though it appears to indicate that only one processor is being used. By default, Windows uses all of the available processors/cores and this box should only be used if you want to specifically limit the number used for debugging or troubleshooting reasons. There's an urban myth circulating that because "1" is shown in the greyed-out box, that's somehow all that Windows is using!

If you haven't had any system updates or installed any software since you changed the settings, try going back to a restore point created before you made the changes - go to Control Panel / Recovery / Open System Restore. As a general principle, it's never a good idea to mess with these lower-level settings and processes unless you really know what you're doing.

I tried to do the mentioned rollback, which unfortunately didn't work. I'll be trying a couple of methods out later today and report back.

Edited by LeifApex

6 hours ago, LeifApex said:

I tried to do the mentioned rollback, which unfortunately didn't work.

Were you not able to do the rollback at all, or did you do it but it didn't fix the issue?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

16 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Were you not able to do the rollback at all, or did you do it but it didn't fix the issue?

I was able to de the rollback, atleast that’s what the PC indocated, but it did not fix the Issue.

i ended up reinstalling steam and FSX, which seems to have worked.