Sign in to follow this  
roundsaturn

Autopilot Altitude Hold Question/setting

33 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

No, you wont see those on a default type aircraft. Only on realistic payware. PMDG, Aerosoft etc. I was trying to describe how it works in the "real world". It can be manually emulated as it was on early commercial aircraft.

I'm thinking he meant that with the Project Opensky 737, he isn't seeing the behavior that the original poster is describing.

26 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

For a real airplane/autopilot, yes.

You would climb in VS mode or SPD mode.

As others have pointed out, the default autopilot in FS works differently, but I would hope that your addon airliner is more sophisticated than that..

The Project Opensky 737 is really just a freeware model, it uses the default 737 panel, so no, his add-on airliner is not more sophisticated than that.

• Like 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

THANKS EVERYBODY for the help!

-Question to Charliearon; not trying to be stupid or to ask a stupid question, but when you say " I don't recommend using A/T for takeoff.  I set N1 to 92% and engage the N1 button and then switch to IAS hold after wheels up."  When I try to do that, the N1 button won't turn on or engage unless the A/T is also on.......

As far as your other instructions, I did it just like you said and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!!!

Yeah, sorry I do mean that the AT is on but using the N1 for takeoff and not IAS hold.  I didn't have enough coffee in me at the time. 😉

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Not to bug you too much more, but I do have a couple follow-up questions for Charliearon; so are you setting the n1 and then using that autothrottle/autopilot setting instead of moving the actual throttle itself? Also, when I tried it, since autopilot was on, my joystick was disabled and I was unable to rotate.....thanks in advance for your wisdom....

Yeah, come to think of it, I never do move the throttle on my joystick so I guess the thrust levers don't move either.  Keep in mind that 92% N1 is fine for takeoff, but after wheels up and engaging A/P for heading and altitude, I then engage Speed hold for IAS set to 250 knots for climb to 10,000 feet.

I think I forgot once or twice to set speed to IAS and at 92% N1 thrust, the aircraft will overspeed very quickly.  I'll try to remember to keep an eye on the thrust levers next time I fly my 737.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

To be fair, if you want to try to be as realistic as possible with the default panel, you would be maintaining a constant thrust, so you'd leave it on N1. Of course, in order to maintain the speed you'd want, you'd have to constantly adjust your vertical speed, which on the more complex add-ons and also the actual plane, VNAV would take care of that for you.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.