SledDriver

My shadows are all furry

I find that the edges of my shadows are rather furry, especially noticeable on the dashboard of the cockpit as a sunshine shadow crosses the panel during a turn. I've tried various shadow settings but haven't found a cure yet. my shadows have soft edges, and soft running zigzagged edges as they move across the panel.

This video shows lovely sharp shadows on the panel at 18 minutes. How do i achieve this?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SledDriver said:

I find that the edges of my shadows are rather furry, especially noticeable on the dashboard of the cockpit as a sunshine shadow crosses the panel during a turn. I've tried various shadow settings but haven't found a cure yet. my shadows have soft edges, and soft running zigzagged edges as they move across the panel.

This video shows lovely sharp shadows on the panel at 18 minutes. How do i achieve this?

Do you have this setting?

Prepar3d.cfg

[GRAPHICS]

// controls the quality of the shadows, default is OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048. Try values of 4096 and 8192 to improve the low quality of the VC shadows. Comes at a computational cost.
OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
addendum

Many thanks. I will experiment with that setting.

Cheers

4096 did the trick and still runs smoothly.

Cheers.

Any idea what TRANSPARENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE does specifically, and whether it is worth upping that from the default 512?