SimeonWilbury

BOAC 'Empire' routes in V4

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

As some of you may know, Just Flight will soon be releasing a revamped version of their VC10 for P3D v4, with most of the systems simulated. And I was beginning to think of some old BOAC routes I may try flying when I get my hands on it and learn the aircraft. From a travelogue I stumbled across recently, one such route is London -> Frankfurt -> Beirut -> New Delhi -> Bangkok -> Hong Kong -> Tokyo. This route was flown by a 707 I believe, however, it should be equally appliable to the VC10.

As somebody without hugely deep pockets I am still building up my scenery collection after upgrading to v4 last year, I already own scenery for Heathrow and Hong Kong (Kai Tak), and obvious high-quality airport scenery exists for Frankfurt, New Delhi (from imaginesim, if a bit aged) and Tokyo. For Bangkok a slightly older ThaiCreation scenery for FSX exists (in this case VTBD, I prefer the cramped nature of the old airport and am likely to go for it over VTBS), and as far as I am told ThaiCreation sceneries seem to play relatively well with P3D. That then leaves Beirut, which does not seem to be supported all that well. A freeware (albiet a very high quality) scenery for OLBA exists, it does not cooperate well with P3D as I had to set up a 'fake' FSX installation by naming a file fsx.exe and setting up the registry connections via the Flight1 Registry repair tool before installing the addon becomes possible (it insists on detecting an FSX install before doing anything); however despite also taking a little while to load in, I can confirm the airport seems to work fine in V4. Leborsim, the comany that made the scenery, is also working on a scenery for the wider city, however sadly that will only be available for X-Plane.

Does anybody else have any other good 'empire' routes they would like to share? Direction with regards to scenery would also be appreciated, as many middle-eastern & african airports are sadly but understanably lax in support in the flight sim community.

Many Thanks,

Martin.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
corrected typos, some clarifications

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

Here you go:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/complete.htm#USA

This site has a collection of old airline time schedules. It takes a bit of work to go through them but their are historic routes and schedules for many airlines, including BOAC, covering a vast period of time. I have personally flown on the BOAC Super VC-10 from London to Dhahran back in the day. I think it went on to Delhi from Dhahran.

I don't have any recommendations for scenery though.

Ted 

Edited by Ted Striker
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Here you go:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/complete.htm#USA

This site has a collection of old airline time schedules. It takes a bit of work to go through them but their are historic routes and schedules for many airlines, including BOAC, covering a vast period of time. I have personally flown on the BOAC Super VC-10 from London to Dhahran back in the day. I think it went on to Delhi from Dhahran.

I don't have any recommendations for scenery though.

Ted 

Hi Ted

Many thanks, I will be sure to draw a few routes from this when I have the time.

Martin