Sign in to follow this  
fluffyflops

Private Jet Robbed At Lagos Airport

On 4/6/2019 at 3:50 AM, Boeing or not going said:

And stories of tsa or baggage handlers stealing your stuff in every American airport. Calling out one country or type of person is not fair.

My parents had their Disney souvenirs stolen from their baggage at Orlando.

My brother worked for the TSA as a private security guard protecting the periphery of Sky Harbor airport, it was his last job before his sad passing in 2009.  He was at Sky Harbor when a guy in a truck somehow broke thru the fenceline and got onto the tarmac, shutting down flight ops temporarily until colleagues of my brother caught him.  This was well after 2001, it just proved that if there is a will, there is a way but it also proved you'll get caught if you get caught in the radar of security.  It was helpful having a brother in security and a fiance who worked for an airline, my brother brought my wife and daughter home, going thru airport security to rescue them when their flight to Mexico was delayed eight hours, he drove them home, I drove them back to the airport. 

When my fiance was flying home to Mexico and saw how sad I was to part with her, she got me a security pass so I could wait at the gate at SFO's International terminal with her until she boarded her aircraft.  I felt like a VIP as I waved my pass at SFO's airport security.

When I worked for American I had a security pass that allowed me into secure areas of Sky Harbor but I never used it, never saw a need.  As I noted earlier, it is a felony for a civilian without a ticket or pilot's license to be airside, and in civilian airports one can get in big trouble if caught loitering on the tarmac without a valid student or pilot's license.

When I hung out with my pilot friends in Napa we were invited onboard bizjets, although we never took off in one, it was somewhat cool.  I remember an IAE Westwind we saw, we looked inside and the pilots told us they were headed to Monterey.  We went back to the FBO in Napa, saw them take off from 36R, Napa's longest 6000 ft runway, then they did a 360 degree climbing circle over the airport before they took off, out of sight.  Quite cool to see them fly away and the speed of a bizjet, we listened to them on the ATC and they were in Monterey in no time!  Luckily vandalism at Napa airport was seldom with frequent sheriff's patrols, weather issues were a worse threat.

John