Sign in to follow this  
pueblov

LorbyFlashlight no run

33 minutes ago, pueblov said:

or do I leave it as I have it, is there really any difference using it independently or all together?

This is just a matter of organization, nothing more. In the early days of P3D V4 there was a limit to how many XML files you could have (about 30 I think). Even if that matter has been resolved, I prefer to have a smaller number of XML files - so I don't lose track, and just in case that there still is a limit, just at a higher volume. Technologically it shouldn't make a difference if you have a few or many add-on.xmls. I have never bothered with measuring loading times etc.  

All I can give you are my own reasons. For me it is more convenient to just point P4AO at a scenery collection and let it add all of them at once to a single add-on.xml. That is due to how my whole system has always been built. Many of my sceneries have already been organized in structured folders like yours, because I always shared them between FSX boxed, SE and P3D. In P3D V4 I have one central "hub" addon package where I collect all effects and base layer files of all legacy scenery products. So I only need one add-on.xml for this, and that file never changes. I do the same with all legacy aircraft.

Another advantage is, that you can turn a whole bunch of addons on or off with one mouseclick - in P3D itself, by disabling the addon package they are in on the "Options->Addons" dialog. So I can run several totally different flavors of the sim like that, with different aircraft, scenery, shaders etc. and I don't have to activate/deactivate hundreds of addons every time - just a handful. Think of the possibilities: you could have a 1950s sim and a 2019s sim in parallel, with period scenery, AI, aircraft and all (remember that "Normandie 1944" product?). You could even simulate a different planet - without screwing around with your core simulator files like we used to in the old days.

A final remark: you could use the add-on.xml files for grouping too. A scenery can be in several add-on.xml files at the same time - you should just take care not to activate them all at once. So you can use the add-on.xml to create different scenarios for different flights, to be activated as needed (like photo vs. landclass, different continents, certain airports etc.)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

ok thank you I'll be trying.
a question and the textures that should go in the texture folder of p3dv4 I also do the same thing I create a folder of texture concentrator and I put all the textures and I indicate that it is global

55 minutes ago, pueblov said:

ok thank you I'll be trying.
a question and the textures that should go in the texture folder of p3dv4 I also do the same thing I create a folder of texture concentrator and I put all the textures and I indicate that it is global

That is the general idea. That way you can try out texture replacement addons too without actually replacing anything in your simulator core folders. I did this with Rex Worldwide Airports HD for example, so I can turn it on or off when needed.

LORBY-SI