Sign in to follow this  
moespeeds

Amending an IFR flight plan mid-flight?

So I'm a total P2ATC noob and completely word not allowed to IFR procedures, so bear with me. 

Let's say I file an IFR flight plan, and I'm halfway to my destination, but off to the side I see something cool I want to look at, maybe a mountain range or a city or a nude beach. Is there a way to amend the plan? If I have to cancel IFR, how do I then continue IFR to my destination? Would I just request VFR Flight Following to my destination, then request an IFR approach to the active runway?

TIA

Moe

So I've answered my own question, you have two options it seems. Either rebuild a flight plan and re-file, then open the flight plan in the air, or you can just call for an ILS approach to the runway at your destination airport.