Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

One in every garage....

Having flown the rudder pedal absent Ercoupe in real life, I can vouch for its taste of nostalgia and this freeware Xplane11.x model is one of the best, flies like the real thing.  So they did not get one in every garage, but they sure are interesting to fly sans rudder pedals.  You turn it on the ground like a car, by turning the yoke, which steers the aircraft.  With any crosswind you come in crabbed, but too much of a crosswind component can make one nervous.  I took up trike flying thinking I was going to purchase an Ercoupe some day, but decided not to because at that time the 1320# LSA STC had not happened yet, limiting its gross weight to two 170# pilots and less than a full tank of gas.  Although I am a 170# pilot today, back then I weighed 230# and the poor Ercoupe knew that, and the CFI I flew with was heavier than I was, still we could climb in a hot Texas density altitude.  I thought Washington DC, one of the more beautiful planned capitals in the world, would make a good backdrop for these shots.

John

KGl09yI.png
1FAblSg.png
RudzOe0.png
HIOwJTO.png
atGeXxY.png
ziA2yYA.png
vdcc1LZ.png
WNuB1kJ.png
SqmzQkQ.png

• Upvote 1

Nice shots of a cool little airplane, John.  My grandfather's last airplane was an Ercoupe... bought it as a basket case and was rebuilding it.  When he passed I had wanted to buy and finish it but was spending any/all money I had on college.

Thanks,

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Nice shots of a cool little airplane, John.  My grandfather's last airplane was an Ercoupe... bought it as a basket case and was rebuilding it.  When he passed I had wanted to buy and finish it but was spending any/all money I had on college.

Thanks,

Greg

Many Ercoupe's and used aircraft are sold as basket cases, some admittedly by their sellers, some not.  My parents always used to say be careful when buying a used car, except in certain circumstances, such as when someone wants something larger, you are inheriting someone else's problem.

John