Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

AIG AI Manager and bgl flight plan questions

I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could help me out with on how the bgl traffic works in the sim.

1. I have all my models and bgl files loaded in the sim with AI Manager. Traffic pops up at the gate and planes start pulling away and heading for take off. Looks great. But does it automatically add any flights in the air? I don’t think I have seen any come in for landing.

2. Does traffic change over time? Like if I take off from SFO and quickly divert to OAK. Will any traffic generate there? Or does the sim look for a flight plan and load traffic based on that? Same type of question for my destination. Will it know to have traffic at the gates of my destination airport? Or is that what 3rd party does so well, it injects based on my location?

3. Does anyone know how the Flighplans option works? Min activity - Max activity. Default is 1% - 1%. The manual says “values the compiler will use to set the activity level of each aircraft in a flightplan. These values are used by the “Traffic-Silder” in FS-Settings”. I don’t fully understand what that means.

Thanks! Lots of great AI programs right now and having some fun testing them all out to see what I want to use for my summer flights 🙂

These questions would be better asked over at their forum.

Very helpful group over there.

Cheers,

Mark

I found the answer to number 3 over there.  I'll ask the other two.

I am curious though...Is AI traffic really that crazy of a performance hit?  I set my FSUIPC traffic limiter to 100.  I counted the planes at KSFO and 40 were on the ground parked at gates.  Probably 5 started moving.  My FPS with no traffic was hitting my VSYNC of 60 FPS with 100 AI traffic I went to 35 FPS.  Is that normal?  I am using the AIG AI Manager, also linked to the P3dv4 SDK for converting textures before downloading.

I guess I didn't realize 100 planes mixed between the sky and the ground was a 50% FPS hit.  Even at 75 planes, I was getting barely 40 FPS.

Hi TravelRunner404,

1) Yes, BGL-based traffic also adds enroute traffic in the air. However, the AI follows only a great-circle line between the departure and destination airport and does not follow airways, SIDs or Stars. You can easily spot traffic around you on map tools like Little Navmap. 
The AI engine needs some time to settle down in the first minutes after the sim is launched. You will see some odd behavior (missed approaches, go-arounds etc.) in the first 15 minutes. So just let the sim run some minutes and do your own preflight flows.

2) BGL traffic is not bound to a flight plan. The sim renders traffic in a reality bubble around the user aircraft. This bubble has a radius of some 108+ miles and moves with the position of your aircraft. When you land in KSFO, you will also have AI in KOAK and all other airports within the reality bubble. The same applies to enroute traffic (e.g. a KPDX-KLAX flight over the Bay Area), where the position is based on the great-circle route, departure time, arrival time and aircraft speed (all defined in the traffic bgl).

3) This question goes along with the performance hit. Every AI aircraft has a performance impact. Your FPS numbers seem reasonable for the Bay Area. Add a complex scenery to it, some clouds and a hardware-demanding aircraft and you will soon see lower FPS numbers. But I would say that 35+ is a pretty good number for KSFO. AIG OIC installer does use the most FPS-friendly AI models, which helps a lot. Do not forget that traffic is also inserted for other airports within the 108+ miles bubble. This can easily sum up to some 400 aircraft in places like New York and London.

Best,
Christoph

Edited by Wolkenschreck

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png