Sign in to follow this  

File formats sound archaic & klunky

Guest tpower

>I am extremely wary of those who offer opinions based on>unfounded and inaccurate suppositions. I tend to respect and>respond better to those who have actually been "in the>trenches" and have invested the blood, sweat and tears>necessary to produce and release content for Flight>Simulator... :)>>Otherwise, it comes across as mere bloviation...I am not aware of the term "bloviation." It sounds like a neologism. Either way regarding your grammar, which is poor, I am no fool and have produced software for GPL & IL2. I am sorry if I have offended anyone in the FS community. Perhaps I phrased my concerns crudely, and I apologise again for that. I merely thought the .BGL format was outdated, and overgrown. In fact the latest sims are coded so slim, the .BGL looks coarse. (No need to apologise to Bruce Artwick for nicking his work; nothing to boast about sonny). So, I will apologise to all, and take my leave (as someone said in a threataning manner: "you don't know the neighborhood") :well no I don't; so I'll get lost and leave you all. Cheers and best wishes. Enjoy your own company,Tosh

the bgl format is old but flexible.It is in fact no longer a single format but a family of formats, with probably different versions for several of them.

Guest tdragger

BGL has changed with every version. About the only this that has remained the same is the file extension but I wouldn't judge what's in the file based on that! ;)

>I am not aware of the term "bloviation." It sounds like a>neologism. Either way regarding your grammar, which is poor, I>am no fool and have produced software for GPL & IL2.http://dictionary.reference.com/wordofthed...2001/06/22.htmlbloviate BLOH-vee-ayt, intransitive verb:To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner. Bloviate is from blow + a mock-Latinate suffix -viate. Compare blowhard, "a boaster or braggart." Bloviation is the noun form; a bloviator is one who bloviates.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------As for your comment regarding my grammar, that is simply more bloviation, as there are no errors whatever in my prose.On the other hand, your clause "...and have produced software for GPL & IL2" relates to my grammar in what way?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>http://dictionary.reference.com/wordofthed...2001/06/22.html>>bloviate BLOH-vee-ayt, intransitive verb:>To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner. >>Bloviate is from blow + a mock-Latinate suffix -viate. Compare>blowhard, "a boaster or braggart." Bloviation is the noun>form; a bloviator is one who bloviates.I laughed so hard I almost soiled myself.Nice one, as usual Fr. Bill.- Martin

>what I read here (and in many other threads) is people>screaming for change pretty much for the sake of change...>They care less about what the new thing will be as long as>it's different from what we have now simply because in their>minds "different is better".>>There's also a tendency to want to have "features" included in>the product simply because they're in another product and>THEREFORE it must be a good thing to have them (and because>they are in another product they must also be "easy to put>in").Please, you make little sense, first off change can be and usually is a good thing. You talk like a person that is content with his FS, which is fine, but many of those wanting change do so because they are not happy with their FS, myself included. First time I flew pacific fighters I was blown away at the graphics and visuals. I flew for hours over islands just to see the waves lap at the shore which looked VERY realistic, much more so than MSFS. Most people when they are exposed to something better than what they are used to have a hard time going backwards.Why would anyone in their right mind, NOT want better features in their fav sim if they have seen these features in another sim (regardless if it's feasible or not)? If they were not better features in their mind, they wouldn't be vocal about wanting them now would they?Thanks to Mike and the team for dispelling rumors and setting us straight on FS and why some things might work and why others might not, it's appreciated.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest IFC2

Hi All,something that I would like implemented in the new FSX, and it's something that I have not seen mentioned yet, and that is, Better Sound for the whole Sim.for instance, a majority of us are all on fancy 5.1 or 7.1 sound set ups, and yet FS handles these sounds in a very primitive way, and is something more like a double mono sound, pumped out equally through every speaker rather then true sounds etc,then there is the AI, don't they all just sound pretty much the same, and no real spooling up or down, and the fly by sound is weird too.I think that these things would help us in our "as real as it gets" immersions feeling.just my thoughts on FSX,

>Hi All,>something that I would like implemented in the new FSX, and>it's something that I have not seen mentioned yet, and that>is, Better Sound for the whole Sim.This was covered here over a month ago... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

got 2 nice speakers here, linked with an old amplifier.Good enough for me.