Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

I have an Oculus Rift and did some VR flying with Aerofly's FS2.

The immersion factor is completely off the charts, but where there needs to be a LOT of work is in cockpit control manipulation 

Since the Rift doesn't have an external camera, when you are under the hood, you have no access to your keyboard, so you are basically limited to what functions you can map to your controller or yoke.  

If the future VR systems allow you to look at your keyboard, that will be helpful but will pull you out of the illusion.  What needs to develop is the ability to basically turn, grab a knob or switch and manipulate it naturally.  As of that, the technology isn't quite there yet.  Heck, manipulating controls with a mouse in MSFS2020 can be a rage inducing experience.  

Activate an approach or create a new "direct to" flightplan  with the G1000 and a mouse and I challenge you not to let loose an expletive or two, especially if you are midair and hit a pocket of turbulence.  Heck, even dialing up autopilot VS speeds can be a chore.

I do so want to VR in flight sim, but only if I can manipulate flight controls intutively and easily.  I'd even be happy to use a joystick/yoke for flight controls and a mouse for button manipulation if they can make it precise.  

But if you are going to incorporate a virtual yoke with me hanging on to just my hand controllers and then manipulate phantom buttons and switches, then the precision of those gyros are going to have to get a LOT better.