Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

I hope it either has or gets VR because its a great experience.  The only reason I dont use it more for XP and ATS is the performance of my system.

If my choice is great scenery OR VR though, my choice is great scenery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 1 August 2019 at 12:42 AM, dongdongliushui said:

Just imagine FOV 180 degree + dual native 4K + MSFS2020...that will bring flight simulation to a whole new level. In no way should Microsoft miss this bright future.

Existing high-end systems can struggle with the current VR headsets in many games. Just imagine what running 2x4k panels would do to the average setup! The gaming market for these would be so small it wouldn't make them economically viable. It would be better to try to make a headset which could genuinely show a sharp full HD image with high framerates. Or, better still, a real 2k image.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Existing high-end systems can struggle with the current VR headsets in many games. Just imagine what running 2x4k panels would do to the average setup! The gaming market for these would be so small it wouldn't make them economically viable. It would be better to try to make a headset which could genuinely show a sharp full HD image with high framerates. Or, better still, a real 2k image.

There are technologies that can make VR less demanding than traditional games. Pimax already has fixed forveated rendering, and more advanced forveated rendering is just ahead. There have already been Asynchronous Spacewarp for Oculus, and similar technology for Steam VR headsets. If a computer can run current flight sim smoothly, it surely can run nextgen VR headsets without much efforts.

48 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

There are technologies that can make VR less demanding than traditional games.

Thats quite a bold statement,imho. While there are several technologies being developed to help GPU's to deal with the ever increasing, obscene pixel demand, it would still come with the sacrifice of reduced visual details (compared to pancake gaming). No way there's any game that runs better in VR than 2D with exactly the same graphic settings. Its not only about the resolution, its the requirement for rock solid 80/90/120 fps per eye which brings even the most high end PC to its knees on high details, even with ASW enabled

Real forveated rendering is only possible with precise eye tracking which will likely be part of the 2nd VR generation, and thats still quite far away, given that we only just seen a minor refresh of the 1st generation HMD's. The only current gen eye tracking HMD is the VIVE PRO EYE, with a whopping 1'500 USD price tag attached to it, and its aimed at commercial customers, which makes the already overpriced VIVE even more overpriced for consumers

So yeah, we will likely see MSFS to be released WAY before we get our hands on affordable 2nd gen HMD's, but that shouldn't stop MS to provide VR support out of the box

Star VR one, also extremely expensive and aimed at commercial customers, has eye tracking and foveated rendering I believe.

18 hours ago, Woozie said:

The only current gen eye tracking HMD is the VIVE PRO EYE, with a whopping 1'500 USD price tag attached to it, and its aimed at commercial customers, which makes the already overpriced VIVE even more overpriced for consumers.

The Fove headset has been around for a few years now: https://www.getfove.com. Real foveated rendering with fast, accurate eye tracking. Sadly, the project seems to have stalled a little at the moment.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 6/27/2019 at 5:36 AM, jlund said:

"To me vr is the future and I would expect it to be included."

Didn't they say that as well both times when 3D came out,? And that never caught on. I haven't tried VR with flightsims, but I still believe it will be a niche and not anything the majority of flightsimmers will be using. So for me, No, Vr isn't a must to have in MS2020. 

" if it don't support VR I will not use/buy it."  Would you say the same when you buy a new car, that if it doesn't have rear view camera, you won't buy it? I mean there's so much else to enjoy when flying on regular 2D screens, that a thing like VR support or not, shouldn't hold you back from buying it. 

Perhaps you should try flying Xplane 11 + VR + 737 Zibo. I can't go back to playing 2d, you're literally downgrading from 3d to 2d. Never. I will not buy MFS if there's no VR. Playing FS on a monitor seems like a joke. Makes me wonder how you all still do it.

Edited by guad
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, Woozie said:

So yeah, we will likely see MSFS to be released WAY before we get our hands on affordable 2nd gen HMD's, but that shouldn't stop MS to provide VR support out of the box

I play with 25FPS in VR and it's very doable. Any higher is just icing.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!

On 6/28/2019 at 9:16 PM, hychewright said:

Personally, I'm a TracklR user and have been for years and will continue to use it. With that said, for those who use VR and like it, that's great. I've watched many videos of others using VR in flight simulation and right now it's just not for me..... but hey, never say never, right?  Happy flying.

youve watched videos of people using VR and you determined, based on that, that it's not for you? i've watched videos of people using it, and i've actually used it. they're nothing alike. i dont think you know what youre missing out, and if everyone tried FS in VR, i suspect 90% would use VR exclusively. most people cant use VR because 1) they dont have it, or 2) hardware doesnt allow for tolerable frame rates. not because it's not good.

48 minutes ago, guad said:

Perhaps you should try flying Xplane 11 + VR + 737 Zibo. I can't go back to playing 2d, you're literally downgradinconsiderateo 2d. Never. I will not buy  MFS if there's no VR. Playing FS on a monitor seems like a joke. Makes me wonder how you all still do it.

I can imagine the 95% of us still using monitors are doing just fine!  You don't have to feel sorry for us.  You may want to be a little more conciderate of your fellow memberts

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I have just bought a Valve Index (headset alone), and I believe this is the best consumer headset (I have most of them) for MSFS2020 for now. The clarity of Index is noticeably better than Oculus S, which is itself noticeably better than Oculus CV1, and the FOV of Index is noticeably bigger than the current mainstream consumer headsets. I recommend those who has doubts about VR try Index, and you will be surprised how VR has evolved since Oculus DK1.  HP Reverb has even higher resolution, and Pimax 5K+ has much bigger FOV, but those two have their own problems, and Index is much more polished and comfortable, and I feel safe for the recommendation.

• Upvote 1

I just realized that most if not almost all of the people using VR were previously using the hat switch or similar to look around.  If that's the case then it wouldn't matter what the visuals looked like in VR as the ability to look around naturally by moving your head overrides any problems.  

Those of us using TrackIR or similar have the advantage of being able to look around naturally while still having full frame rates and resolution.  We're just looking through a picture frame the size of our monitor screens.  I prefer being able to see the rest of the world while in the sim.

I couldn't go back to using the hat switch, but I'm not militant about it.  I recommend TrackIR but I realize it's not for everyone.

I'm still hoping for a revolutionary VR design from Microsoft that combines the advantages of TrackIR and VR.  It could happen.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 hours ago, LHookins said:

I just realized that most if not almost all of the people using VR were previously using the hat switch or similar to look around.  If that's the case then it wouldn't matter what the visuals looked like in VR as the ability to look around naturally by moving your head overrides any problems.  

I'm still hoping for a revolutionary VR design from Microsoft that combines the advantages of TrackIR and VR.  It could happen.

Uh? What do you mean? 

I´ve never used the hat switch in VR and never heard of one who did. You just move your head like real life to look around. It´s like trackir but well implemented (in trackir the move in your head is not real or you will lose focus on your screen when in VR you have no limits with that).

I think you should consider giving VR a chance having in mind that already surpasses the advantages of TrackIr.

Cheers

Carlos

• Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

1 hour ago, chass32 said:

I´ve never used the hat switch in VR and never heard of one who did.

Of COURSE not!  Jeez.

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

I just realized that most if not almost all of the people using VR were previously using the hat switch or similar to look around.

Previously, as in before VR.

1 hour ago, chass32 said:

I think you should consider giving VR a chance having in mind that already surpasses the advantages of TrackIr.

If you want to sell me on VR, you don't do it by bashing the product I'm currently using.  Actually, that goes for ANY product.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

11 hours ago, LHookins said:

just realized that most if not almost all of the people using VR were previously using the hat switch or similar to look around.

I sincerely doubt that. Where did that info come from? My guess would be that most VR users, myself included, used TrackIR. I used it for years in race sims and flight sims. In fact I couldn't drive or fly without it. It was like having my head in a vice!

I also wonder how many people who are currently down on VR have actually tried it. Not so many  I'll bet.

Oh and hatswitches are the spawn of the devil. Many are the videos I've watched about flying are ruined by the flick flick flick of changing views.

2c

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.