Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

1 hour ago, pracines said:

Hopefully the new MSFS will include VR support and hopefully it is done well. So far, the available VR experiences are not adequate enough for me, in one form or another. Maybe MSFS will bring it all together.

AF2 lacks ATC and real wx but does VR very well. P3D still lacks the performance unless sliders are reduced, but then one may as well use XP which has its own set of things it lacks. FlyInside is coming along slowly but still lacks in the same areas as AF2. 

VR is awesome that is for sure. For me however, I can do VR for a 1-2 hour limit of flying with my Rift. Until the headsets get more comfortable and the resolution increases (at a reasonable price) there is no way I can do more than a couple hour flight a day.

My flight schedule mostly consists of 2-3, 4+hour flights a day, or maybe 1 fight of 14-16 hours. Only on the weekends would I fly less than a couple hours VFR...just to keep refreshed (electrical/systems failures can happen and that GTN/autopilot may not work😧) on VFR operations and planning (DR, pilotage ect.). The problem there is a lack of a VFR map to view, check against, while in VR.     

VR, done right, and comfortable, would be something to behold in order to believe...its very important not to knock it, if one has not tried VR. But VR has a long way to go for realistic flight simming...hopefully MS realizes this.

Are you a real pilot? If not, how do you find so much time for flight swimming?!

I'd say VR is the main reason for MS's interest in the new version of MSFS. The present XBox has no official VR support. 

9 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'd say VR is the main reason for MS's interest in the new version of MSFS. The present XBox has no official VR support. 

That would be music to my ears for sure!

• Like 2

VR ?

Yes.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

16 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

There are two kinds of simmers, those who have never tried VR for themselves and those who will never go back to 2d flying again. 🙂

Aren’t you forgetting the 3rd kind? Those who have tried it and did not like it for various reasons (comfort, resolution etc). 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, deetee said:

Aren’t you forgetting the 3rd kind? Those who have tried it and did not like it for various reasons (comfort, resolution etc). 😉

+1

But at least it's nothing we need to argue about. Making the sim VR capable doesn't impact us "2D" users. On the contrary, we might see performance optimizations as VR requires quit a bit more compared to the average 1-monitor usage.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That may change in the future Xbox Scarlett rumour

Totally agree. No VR, no buy.

VR is still niche among the whole gaming crowd now, but it's not niche among flight simmers any more. VR is born for flight sim (and car sim too), flight sim is born for VR. As long as you savour the real taste of VR, there is no going back. By "real taste" I am not refering to the first generation of VR such as Vive OG or Oculus OG, but Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, Oculus S, and mostly HP Reverb. 

If only you have tried HP Reverb, many of the dissenters will change their opinion. It's as clear as the flat screen, plus all the VR beauty, flexibility, and reality.

And think of this: all the current "antique" flight sims have VR support: FSX, Prepar3d, X-plane, Aerofly FS2. This is not without reason. Those developers know the tide and wind. And to imagine the next generation of flight sim without VR? That's the most obsurd thing I can think of.

I am a most devoted supporter of the new MS flight sim, and the previous MS flight sims. I was literally heart broken when ACE got dissembled. With all my love for MS flight sims, if the new one comes without VR, I will shout out to all people I know in social media to keep away with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that the new MSGS will surely include VR. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

21 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that the new MSGS will surely include VR. 

It's hard to say. The VR strategy of MS is very confusing. They brought us a swarm of very promising VR headsets 3 years ago, and then they seem to forget all about it completely. MS has the most cutting edge technology and the biggst resources, but they are very good at wasting it or ignoring it. Think of Kinect, think of Windows MR. I really have a bad feeling about this.

Edited by yanfeng12342000

33 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

MS has the most cutting edge technology and the biggst resources, but they are very good at wasting it or ignoring it.

Microsoft is under new management.  Maybe there will be less of the "wasting and ignoring."  

The new flight sim looks like they intend for it to be a technology showcase.  This might mean new flight controllers (Sidewinder, anyone?), new VR, anything.  Obviously new streaming technology and Azure.  

More reason to be optimistic than pessimistic at this point.  If all this happens, it happens.  If not, you haven't lost anything.

The new Reverb VR is the first promising thing I've seen in all of VR since the beginning.  ASOBO has augmented reality technology, maybe Microsoft will be promoting that, or even a full VR from that company.

Expect paradigm shifts.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

The new Reverb VR is the first promising thing I've seen in all of VR since the beginning.

Absolutely this. The resolution is finally there for a flight simulator to be fully enjoyable and all the cockpit gauges readable and scenery in the distance more clear, etc.

I think Microsoft just decided to let it play out and jump in when the time is right. 

New headsets, new Xbox, new MSFS -  it all is coalescing at the right time. 

• Upvote 1

Well said Hook. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I've never tried VR but if in fact the new sim exploits it as it should I might finally be convinced to give it a go.

Exciting times for us ahead.👍

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

VR is like 3D. 3D was all thd rage for a while, but look at how many film makers and TV set makers have dropped it. VR will go the same way.

Edited by odourboy

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)