Sign in to follow this  
Guest PZL

High res scenery... Where?

Guest GA Flyer

Thomas,In some ways that what I meant but also MSFS does work in a way to try and please the masses while protecting their own. One idea that comes to mind is if the next version is made like XP as far as install and register the software and instead of an IP address the copies are tied in with the OS and the user/owner name up to so many machines.That way if the owner has 5 copies of XP registered to them and wants to install FSX onto those 5 machines then it might only require one copy since the MS data base will see that all machines are registered to the same person as far as the OS goes.Whatever they plan on doing is their right but do hope they find a way to help the hard core simmer so it doesnt require a cd in the drive nor make valid users with mutli machines for one overall sim have to purchase the same amount of copies at full price. Perhaps a trade off in that case would be when registering the first copy a small charge for more copies to the same name/owner of the registered OS would be allowed.However in the event it does go the way where each computer must have its own copy it will only provide more profits to the franchise ensuring that we have more versions down the road and the Gates who are now donating billions to help feed the world will allow me to sleep well at night since I'm helping and every in that senerio wins.Jack

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>Not sure how this would be a problem if all the copies were>licensed. ???How would you 'license' a copy if that machine weren't hooked up to the internet?I'm all for software houses that protect their software, it would be best for a system that were easy for the end user, yet functional for the software house.I can see that the "Insert DVD to play" option will soon get cracked and then everyone loses out.Online registration is great, but would please everyone if the license was awarded "install on 5 machines" at home.That way, if you upgrade your machine later on, theres no need to re-register either.I can see the viewpoint from Microsoft and I empathise with them, I'd just like to see a system, which is already good, get better.Thats where I'd like to go today :)

Guest tdragger

Just so you know, you don't need to be online to register Windows or Office. They have telephone support available.

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

Yes, you're right, sorry, I had forgotten about that option.

Do you know if you turn your radio on and play it on a public speaker system in a business (say in a car wash loungin area) you have to pay royalties (they asked in my business)?Like songs on the radio, you are not buying the software! You don't own it. You are getting the right to use it! They can tell you how to not use it. For example you can not use FS for flight instruction!

Guest PZL

>Now that would be pretty cool. It would also prevent folks>from buying one copy, installing on multiple machines and just>swapping the disc.I've been following the discussion on the activation issue... For what it's worth, I'm in the camp that says "I bought the sim and should be able to install it on my primary PC and my laptop as well....(running on a LAN)" I'm not really concerned what the acivation is as long as I am not limited to installing it on 1 PC only.Just my 2 cents worth.