Sign in to follow this  
VBHB

1080p to 1440p - what I've learnt.

Posted (edited)

Hi all. Creating this thread just to tell you my experience in moving up in resolutions and hopefully anyone googling to research graphics cards will find this beneficial.

So I've completely moved over from FSX:SE to P3D v4.

So I'm new to the P3D platform.

1080p system was:

i5 - 9600k O/C to 4.8ghz - could get it to 5ghz but pushing too much vcore and heat so lost the lottery unfortunately.

Ram is 2x8 - 16gb Kingston Hyper X 2400mhz.

SSD 1TB.

Vid card was a Asus Radeon RX 580 8GB OC - pushed it further to 1410mhz clock speed, so about an extra 500mhz squeezed out of it.

So following the usual setting guides for 1080p resolution I averaged about 25fps with QW787 at Orbx YMML airport with Orbx AusV2 and Activesky with ASCA.

Moving to 1440p I purchased a Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB OC card. I changed the resolution and had to play around with the sliders a bit more.

I've noticed the change from 8GB to 6GB video memory - there is a bit of late loading of textures (a skyscraper will be blue then for a few seconds then the texture will load and it will look like a skyscraper) and small amount of popup.

Also what I've noticed is that the frames are the same but I'm able to male the sim look nicer due to being able to utilise HDR and Higer Res textures etc without losing more frames which happened with the 580.

I can go into more detail if people like but going to 1440p was definitely worth it looks amazing. 

So in summary get bigger video memory and going to a better card may not get the extra results you want - it'll just make the sim look nicer.

Edited by VBHB
  • Like 2

Pete Walsh

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 16gig DDR4 - GTX 2060.

12 hours ago, VBHB said:

I've noticed the change from 8GB to 6GB video memory - there is a bit of late loading of textures (a skyscraper will be blue then for a few seconds then the texture will load and it will look like a skyscraper) and small amount of popup.

So in summary get bigger video memory and going to a better card may not get the extra results you want - it'll just make the sim look nicer.

Are you certain this is related to running out of VRAM? I'm at 2560x1440 using a 1070 (and the TFDi 717) and I'm running just over 4.2GB of VRAM used.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

23 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you certain this is related to running out of VRAM? I'm at 2560x1440 using a 1070 (and the TFDi 717) and I'm running just over 4.2GB of VRAM used.

Cheers!

Rivatuner has me around the same.  I'm finding with this card it's relatively new and getting weird textures in cloud layers with AS.  Card is so new maybe a few teething issues?

Pete Walsh

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 16gig DDR4 - GTX 2060.

Considering the release of the "Super" cards this week, can you return your new card so you can get better performance at the same price point? See the other posts here about those cards or look at Gamers Nexus on Youtube....

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, Blk Ed MB; Intel I7-4790K CPU (@4.5 Ghz); 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win7 Pro; 2 Samsung 1Tb SSDs;Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; P3D v4.5 HF2