Sign in to follow this  
Guest beana51

Katrina recovery...what can we (each of us) do?

Think about this. Over 1 million Americans have been wiped out. New Orleans is lost, at least for now. But these Americans are not lost, they live, yet at the same time they have nowhere to live.We can't keep on sending money...that runs out sooner than later. So instead I start this thread to encourage other folks to offer what they will do to help our Brothers and Sisters in the Gulf Coast Region.For me, I will begin to conserve gas, I will seek to volunteer in one fashion or another, and donate $XX.XX weekly to recovery and reconstruction efforts.What say you?Cheers!bt

I think we should encourage people to contribute, but keep our own contributions to ourselves. The best contribution--and I am paraphrasing from the Bible, is that which we give with humility and no fanfare. I believe almost every instrument of faith and morality, Eastern or Western, has a similar saying. Let's not take this crisis as an opportunity to bring attention to our own deeds--they speak for themselves in our own hearts. But the more we can educate others as to the gravity of this event, the better for all. Also, we've heard about (and there's an ongoing thread) looting, pillaging, etc--the worst of things a crisis such as this brings out in us. That's not a Western trait--go East or West, 21st Century or 1st Century, and there's always been an anarchy where absolute crisis has been. We should also have a place to dwell on the good in people in this crisis.Perhaps those observations can be posted here, such as Carnival Cruise lines giving up three of its ships for housing, and the air carriers--just about all of them, offering their aircraft to ferry people out of the city. -John

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!It may be a crazy idea, but I remember joining the citizens of Oklahoma City in driving with their headlights on after the Federal building there was bombed. In the Lehigh Valley PA, a signifigant number did so for 9/11. Small gesture, but a way to express sympathy and concern.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Charlie

Excellent advice, John, and what a masterfully polite way to rain on his self-aggrandizement parade. I'm not saying that that that was your intention, but it is the effect that I see and it was much needed. Thank you.People who really care about helping are quietly doing so. They feel no need to announce their good deeds to the world, nor do they attempt to intimidate others into doing so, as in the "Much support for India...." thread.

"Prodesse Quam Conspici - To do good rather than be conspicuous"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Contact the salvation army or mercy corps and ask what's needed.In the aftermath of many disasters people tend to set up well meant but ill conceived aid efforts which often end up costing a lot for little return.Things like 20 groups sending 1000 pairs of size 10 man's running shoes each to a single village where there's noone with that size shoes, or (as happened for real after the tsunami in Asia) several organisations each starting to build a school in a single village at the same time. That village ended up with no houses, no clinic, but 3 elementary schools and was the direct reason for the Indonesian government to throw out all direct efforts from foreign organisations, allowing them in only under supervision and coordination of the government.

You know what Charlie...this personal vendetta you have towards me is tiresome, but if you are so insecure that you feel you must continue, I suppose I can ignore your actions.I say again...the purpose of this thread is to discuss and offer suggestions as to what each of us can do. Similar to Ken Salter's post on the topic of aid on the main FS2004 page, but less focused on monetary contribution, and more directed to ongoing and long term suggestions, because as I said in the original post...the money will run short soon. I'm also waiting to see your "critique" of Ken's actions. In the spirit of editorial fairness I'm sure they are coming soon, or are you like much of our media, only offering a one-sided viewpoint that supports whatever agenda you have for the day?So the topic for those that want to contribute to this thread is, what can we do? What do you suggest? How can we individually (and as a community) make a difference? This is a challenge unlike any challenge we've faced in a long time. This is a problem that demands creative thinking. This is a challenge that will be here for years. It won

Well said. You'll be the first to admit we don't always see eye to eye on things but this is one place where everyone should set aside their animosity and work together.Sadly there are a lot of people (mostly on the political left but not limited to them) trying to get political gains from the situation instead of trying to help others.I'm personally in no position to help because of that situation. Aid organisations in this country have all decided that the US should take care of itself and that they're not going to spend a cent or send over any goods or people.Given their history of supporting only in case of disasters in Africa and south Asia (and in case of some groups only if the government of the area that was hit was leftist enough) I wasn't surprised to hear that but I'm apalled by it nonetheless and hope that organisations in other countries will have the heart to set aside their political agendas in order to truely help instead of sending token amounts in order to gain a few press headlines (as is all too common with aid organisations worldwide).Oh, and here's one example of what went wrong in New Orleans (and it isn't the federal aid which is on schedule now that the city finally got around to asking for it): http://junkyardblog.net/archives/week_2005_08_28.html

It wasn't my intention to "rain on Braun's parade"--he has a valid thread with a good purpose. I only advise that we don't post in the forums what we have done as individuals, since this is a forum of all ages and income levels, some may be hurt by feeling they can't do enough. However, in the spirit of Braun's intentions, there are little things we can do that require no money, such as:~Skip that 100 mile "Sunday" drive that burns fuel--at least until the country's refining capacity gets back on it's feet. Skip that boat trip around the lake, or taking your friends for a joyride in your C172.~Don't drive ten miles over the limit--drive at the limit. Don't tailgate. Don't "floor it" to get on the freeway. Someone else needs the gas more.~Don't flood the local LA, AL and MS TV and Radio news web sites with visits--these sites need the bandwidth to serve the people who are in the most need of news--those locals and those families with loved ones in the region.~Don't use the next few weeks to second guess local, regional or national government response. The time for reflection will come, but right now the politicians, FEMA, Military and Law don't need to be spending their time in news conferences debunking every false rumor circulating out of the region.~Patronize the businesses that have made a point of donating to the Red Cross. Many businesses have pledged money to the Red Cross--you can support them and the Red Cross by purchasing your goods there--doesn't cost you a dime, but you are helping.~Even if our government isn't showing appreciation for the offers of foreign aid we've received, we can. Offers for aid have come in from every corner of the globe. If you see someone post who is from Russia, or a NATO country, or from anywhere--show your appreciation. Jeroen has participated in this thread, and I believe he is from Holland. We owe him and his country thanks for their support.I could write on, but you get the idea. Everyone can help, of all ages and incomes. How you help doesn't need to be advertised to everyone, but if you have an idea for helping, certainly share it. There is no one who should be "put down" for aiding in this time of need. -John

Guest Charlie

Ken Salter:"Please try and donate to the relief effort for Hurrican Katrina. I am going to collect urls for donation sites on the internet:American Red Cross: https://give.redcross.org/?hurricanemastheadSalvation Army: http://www.salvationarmyusa.orgUnited Way: http://national.unitedway.orgAmerica's Second Harvest: http://www.secondharvest.org/default2.asp"BT:"Tom...if you have time to post ad's for Wing's of Power, you have time to post information on how we can help each other. Please put some donation banners up. Please put up links to organizations which will point us to the right charities. Please find out what we can do to help, then tell us. Not a hurclean task in my mind.""Get some banners up. Feed the donation stream. Support the Gulf Coast and it's citizens. If not, what's your point? Why? Explain your choice of staying on the sidelines then at least it's not one-sided.""AVSIM: Richard Harvey is dead, and yet you have a banner for him. Why not a banner for the Gulf Coast living? (and dead)FLIGHTSIM: On FLIGHTSIM Dillon only suggested a plan to send donations to the Gulf Coast. You took his message down ASAP. What's YOUR point?""Screw that Larry. This ain't about Walmart, or the Red Cross...""Thats a crop of crap.""Charlie...you assume too much. That is the sign of a fool."SEE ANY DIFFERENCE, BT? You

Guest Charlie

John,I hope you understand that, of course, it is not my intention either to rain on the parade of getting help for the folks whose lives were so disrupted by the hurricane. I simply think there is ample reason to question the motives and style of the original poster. Had you not stepped in, I think this thread would have quickly filled with BT barbs like those quoted above. Good chance it still will if you leave the room for very long.I will butt out now. :-)

Hi Charlie my last response to you, I promise. Like you, I too will "butt out"I'll say only this concerning my out of context comments extracted by you above. Some were from the heat of passion, and perhaps in hindsight could have been rephrased. Others are well thought, and completely valid. I'll stand by them all.What I'm really curious about is just what motivates you Charlie? What are your motives? I ask you this only because you seem to find it so easy to question mine.You seem to feel I am on some grand ego trip, and accuse me of being there, and I quote, "...for years".But I got to ask you, what threatens your ego so much Charlie that bashing Braun becomes your primary contribution to this discussion? Are you so consumed by your dislike of me, that you are blinded to the plights of others? It also seems that in the heat of that dislike, you fail to see that the exact traits that you attribute to me, those very traits that you claim to abhor, are now becoming part and parcel of your own personal modus-operandi? What motivates you Charlie? Think about it.Cheers,bt

Thank you John for phrasing this as it was intended. It is not meant to be:"What I did."but rather"What can I do?" (which is reflected in the title)Lotta bright minds out there. Plenty of good conventional wisdom. Surely there are lots of good, useful, non-monetary contributions that folks will gladly make, once they have a little food for thought. Can we hear more of them?AVSIM READERS, WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO? WHAT ARE WE NOT DOING NOW THAT WE COULD BE DOING? I'M SURE THERE ARE THOUSAND OF OPPORTUNITIES. We as a community can post hundreds of replies to a controversial discussion about the merits of a freeware producer taking his toyz and going home. Surely we can say at least as much on this important topic?I think it would be a shame, if this thread died out, but this will be my last appeal to this cause. It either gets legs, or it dies a quick deathbt

"I think it would be a shame, if this thread died out, but this will be my last appeal to this cause. It either gets legs, or it dies a quick death"Don't be discouraged if it takes a while for the thread to gather steam. It's been well put that Katrina is an "ongoing crisis" and people nationwide are in a state of shock. Give people time, and the thread time. -john

From the WWL-TV (New Orleans TV4) blog:http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html8:48 A.M. - NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (AP) -- A six-year-old Nebraska girl is joining thousands of her grown-up counterparts in offering help to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Brianna Taft of North Platte is selling her handmade bracelets to help in the relief effort. She has set up a table in front of SunMart in North Platte and hopes to sell 600 bracelets.