Sign in to follow this  
hossfly72

I need a mechanic for my 172N

After scanning the forum, I see that the altitude indicator is off by 50-80 feet on other planes and not just on mine. 

It'd be nice to have a mechanic look at that, but after flying old airplanes in real life, I'm used to noting idiosyncrasies of the plane I fly.

The heading bug also shows a bit to the left of my actual heading. But I have the compass. Would be nice to have that fixed though.

I've also tried and tried but can not find out how to turn the volume up to identify the VOR I'm tuning. Hasn't been a problem but yet again, 

it's a thing I'd like to have fixed if it's supposed to be there. 

Has anybody had any luck with fixing these things? Has anybody tried? IS there a way?

I added ILS and DME equipment to the plane for minor instrument conditions.... If that matters. Doesn't seem like it would make a difference,

but I'm not a mechanic or computer guru. 

Accidental answer to the incorrect altimeter problem!

clear the weather cache.. select themes, clear all weather.. I did it just test flying the 172 vs the stock 172 and my altimeter is correct.. Oddly enough, so was the heading indicator.. 

maybe it has to do with changing the airplane to a stock plane and back again? 

still no VOR ID morse codes, but I'm playing around with it.

8 hours ago, hossfly72 said:

Accidental answer to the incorrect altimeter problem!

clear the weather cache.. select themes, clear all weather.. I did it just test flying the 172 vs the stock 172 and my altimeter is correct.. Oddly enough, so was the heading indicator.. 

maybe it has to do with changing the airplane to a stock plane and back again? 

still no VOR ID morse codes, but I'm playing around with it.

Hi...

Hah - don't sell yourself short - nice troubleshooting effort - many wouldn't even notice - just follow the magenta line...

The VOR Morse Codes should work - as that's just a default feature - and since you used to fly I'm assuming you have it tuned and selected via the audio panel ? I don't have the plane - so I can't compare...

FYI - given your propensity for attention to detail - perhaps you should try another brand of C172 that is known for the same exacting attention to detail ? The Bonanza I fly - I have to tap the gauges on by panel occasionally - for an accurate reading - as the needle may stick on older gauges...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott,

Everything is tuned in the audio panel, but I'll be the first to say as bad as Cessna radios are/were in real life, they're tons more trouble in the sim. I had a 1967 172 that was virtually identical to the Carenado in everything except paint. Flies EXACTLY like mine did except for a bit better climb rate.

I never felt comfortable with the radios in that plane, but just got em set and never changed anything except for the frequency. Never really talked to anybody back then anyway. I'll keep futzing around with it and see what I can come up with.

1 hour ago, hossfly72 said:

Hi Scott,

Everything is tuned in the audio panel, but I'll be the first to say as bad as Cessna radios are/were in real life, they're tons more trouble in the sim. I had a 1967 172 that was virtually identical to the Carenado in everything except paint. Flies EXACTLY like mine did except for a bit better climb rate.

I never felt comfortable with the radios in that plane, but just got em set and never changed anything except for the frequency. Never really talked to anybody back then anyway. I'll keep futzing around with it and see what I can come up with.

Hi...

Hah - and now as of (01 JAN 2020) we can't fly in controlled airspace without transmitting our WAAS GPS position to ATC via ADS-B - which is why I'm flying to the avionics shop first thing tomorrow morning to spend another bucket full of cash... How times have changed - I almost envy your simpler times... A pleasure - sir...

Regards,
Scott

Oh good lord! That's nuts! I avoided controlled airspace like a plague anyway when I first started in '84.

It scared me bad! After a trip down to Atlanta with a buddy though, I figured Memphis or Nashville couldn't be bad at all and adapted. I just avoided the purple and orange planes (FedEx).. 

Can't imagine being forced to have a GPS just to enter it. My first GPS, bought second or third hand off of a buddy around 2001, had less intelligence than an Apple watch but got the job done. Oddly enough, I LOVED the old Loran system installed on that Cessna. It taught me how to follow a Vor course before I'd even messed with a VOR. You just plugged in the start point and the destination and kept the ball centered all the way. And my dad (airline pilot/super human) taught me how to tune the ADF to listen to country or blues stations while flying. He also taught me how to fly a 172 backwards. Fun, but not really practical for cross country trips unless your name is Wrong Way Feldman... 

PS- Oh yeah! I'm not a sir or anything.. Just Hoss. 

Edited by hossfly72

I got the VOR ident!!!!   I feel a little dumb now. 

Just scrolled through the list of key commands and there it was.

Still kinda ticks me off that I can't flip a switch on the radio, but I can confirm the VOR now.

I also found out which keys to hit to slave the autopilot to the Nav 1. I actually hadn't thought to look for this since I added Otto to the plane myself. I usually just level out and fly until the coffee hits and then engage the autopilot to hold my heading and altitude until after the flush..

You guys wouldn't believe what you can find when you read the instructions!

Hey! My 10th post! I wonder what happened to the hundreds I had all the way back to FS5? Maybe it was FS98? I dunno...

Edited by hossfly72
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hossfly72 said:

I got the VOR ident!!!!   I feel a little dumb now. 

Just scrolled through the list of key commands and there it was.

Still kinda ticks me off that I can't flip a switch on the radio, but I can confirm the VOR now.

I also found out which keys to hit to slave the autopilot to the Nav 1. I actually hadn't thought to look for this since I added Otto to the plane myself. I usually just level out and fly until the coffee hits and then engage the autopilot to hold my heading and altitude until after the flush..

You guys wouldn't believe what you can find when you read the instructions!

Hey! My 10th post! I wonder what happened to the hundreds I had all the way back to FS5? Maybe it was FS98? I dunno...

Hi "Hoss",

LOL - I call everyone - sir...

Yeah - the FAA wants to dump running radar - so the gist is - we all just transmit our own positions and they manage traffic that way...

I learned with a Northstar Loran unit - talk about the clumsiest - least intuitive interface - ever designed by man - - - but once you sorted the interface - it worked quite well... The Loran unit drove a "Century I" autopilot (steering only) - when you used it - it would fly an absolutely perfect course...

Yeah - I avoid landing at Bravo's - but I hit Charlie's quite often...

Well - glad you have your issues sorted - enjoy !!!

Regards,
Scott

Hi Hoss,

OBTW: Here is where I had to go on Saturday for the avionics work - first time there - beautiful country - Skyhaven PA (76N) - a nice challenging 2000x25 ft runway - that sits in a bowl (the pix doesn't represent this well - but it's really a bowl) - note the large displaced threshold - very cool approach over the river - you need to skim the trailer park to get in... They did add another undocumented 1000 feet to it - if you needed it - but it's not yet part of the "official" runway...

48535499457_0aed0d207c_b.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613