Sign in to follow this  
Guest beana51

Tropical Storm, Soon To be Hurricane, on the way.

Just wanted to let you guys know that Tropical Storm Rita is currently in the florida keys, headed for the gulf coast. Rita is expected to make landfall early saturday morning just south of galveston. It is being thought to make landfall just east of New Orleans to just south of Corpus Christi, but the predicted path is to hit the Houston Metro Area.Last time we had a hurricane was in the early 80's. A few years ago, tropical storm Allison flooded the city, leaving it a giant lake. We havent had the pleasure to deal with something like this in over 20 years, but its on the way. Just wanted to post in case some people havent heard about it.As for me, being a houston resident, ill be on and off the next couple of days, preparing for the hurricane, and then going to my family ranch 30 miles north of Bryan/College Station Texas to ride it out.Keep an eye on this storm, its expected to be a Cat3 at landfall. Thought id let you guys know..Take care all, and god bless:-wave

Was talking to my son an hour ago about leaving his home near the bay in Texas City no later than Thursday - after dawn Friday will be too late to get out.

It would be enough to bring texas city to its knees.Yesterday, they predicted it to come in a little south f the ship channel, and now they have it even a little more south. We will still be on the strong side, so im still looking for 50 or 60mph winds, and alot of heavy rain. I think if it goes a little more south as planned, it will be ok for me to stay home and wait it out.

We are most concerned about the eye of the storm hitting 10-20 miles west of the pass. That would concentrate the most water in the bay and the most flooding of low lying areas.Anything direct or east of the pass would minimize flooding. West the storm needs to be about 80-100 miles out to avoid the northeast quadrant effect.

Guest beana51

Of course ,stay well! As a transplant from upstate NY,in the Catskill mountains, With my home airport there, SKYTOP being 2094'msl,this current area I live in is mighty low! Like 10 to 15' ft msl.Last year we got hit with four hurricanes,here in the PORT CHARLOTTE area.Many of us just about getting back to normal.Every day is a day to expect the unexpected.What amazes me however is the fantastic growth of the South West Flordia area.Just bulldoze the wrecked homes,and replace them 10fold.You are not in good hands here,most insurances won't insure you any longer.Yet the growth persists.As for me ,this bone yard ain't no fun.A "Blizzard is mild in com parson.A wood fire,wood stove,wood shed filled with firewood,A 4X4 chains,plow,kero lamps, pot of all day hot Chile,and a bottle of "YUKON JACK". When spring comes all seems as it was before.Not so with hurricanes,twisters,and tsunamis.As far as the sun down here,that will kill ya too,not to mention the gators! Sounds like I like Florida? But of course I do!! Still got the greatest flying weather !! VIN "REGARDS TO RITA" ,I'm sure "CHARLIE " would have liked her,they have a lot in common!