Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Request Deviation Around Weather

I've tried this option a few times and the ATC definitely sends you roughly in a half circle around the flightplan. However, I have yet to figure out whether this path is either random or actually takes into account the immediate weather conditions. I assume that if the latter is true, it operates on precipitation density data provided via the sim. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

On 9/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

I've tried this option a few times and the ATC definitely sends you roughly in a half circle around the flightplan. However, I have yet to figure out whether this path is either random or actually takes into account the immediate weather conditions. I assume that if the latter is true, it operates on precipitation density data provided via the sim. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The only time I have tried this is requesting lower to avoid clouds while flying VFR. The usual response I get is, “Unable at this time.”  Almost surprisingly (and also randomly) it does work. 

ln real life flight following, the response has been, “Maintain VFR flight.” One time I dropped below radar contact, and they notified me of that. They never suggested I should just maintain altitude and fly through the clouds. 

Thanks. I'm going to research this further to see what I can figure out about the exact logic.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:33 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm going to research this further

jay

how goes your research ?

your posts prompted me to "use" this feature when i had some CB's on route (ASP4 precipitation / PMDG77W wxr),

essentially vox offered vectors which avoided the cells though it was more a "weave" along the route rather than a strategic path offset the route & paralell to it which seemed best in the circumstance.

the weave +/- 20nm offset effectively added about 100nm to the flight.

i haven't decided whether i'll use the option again ...... just do my own & see the feedback (probably vectors to the next waypoint eventually).

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Not much. VOXATC will always avoid the weather, but the path provided is circuitous and often takes the aircraft way off course. That seems similar to what you've observed.