Sign in to follow this  
redhead66

Scenery

I am just looking at buying XPlane.  Been a FSX user for 10 years and know it very well,  clearly Xplane is a totally different sim.  Its very tidy in the way it has its folder system arranged.  I am a bit confused about the scenery arrangement.

As I understand it the basic download does not include the scenery.  If I install the scenery that is offered with it,  can I then  install addon scenery or does the default have to be uninstalled first.

Regards

BobP

Bob Palmer

It has scenery that is acceptable for general purposes and after you have run it for a while you can decide to add-on enhancements if you choose, many free, some for purchase. My advice is become familiar with the scenery aspect of the sim and do a lot of research before you start paying for scenery add-ons.

The sim is well worth the price!!!

The scenery that comes with the full purchase covers the whole world if you want to download it. I think the default scenery is very good. There are lots of free downloads available that are excellent. I also was a FSX simmer for years and found XP to be much better out of the box.

Thanks both for your advice.  I am thinking more or less as you say, that is installing some of the default scenery.  If I then decide to add more freeware or payware does the sim automatically recognise the new scenery and render it over the default   In FSX we have "Scenery Config Editor" to arrange and switch on and off.  Presumably it is not necessary in XP as there is not the  VAS restrictions we had with FSX.

BobP

Bob Palmer

19 hours ago, redhead66 said:

I am thinking more or less as you say, that is installing some of the default scenery.  If I then decide to add more freeware or payware does the sim automatically recognise the new scenery and render it over the default  

For individual airport files, you do have to manually place them in the /Custom Scenery folder unless it's an automated install like the Orbx scenery packages. X-Plane doesn't have an automated scenery installer for anything other than its own default world scenery and the default "Gateway" airports.

The short version of how X-Plane determines load priority for new scenery Add-ons, is that it's based on the alphanumeric order of file names in the /Custom Scenery folder, which you can override by editing the scenery_packs.ini file in that same directory.

Here's the full explanation from Tony:

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor