Sign in to follow this  
MishaTX

Procedure for getting back on track with missing handoffs?

Having just recently finished a flight from Berlin to Tenerife (EDDB-GCTS) where I had some issues, most if not all of which were more likely than not caused by myself and my system, I did notice that I never got a handoff from Brest Central until Tenerife Appr. Now, either that's the Brest radar being truly amazing or my system/software having a hiccup along the way (I have the pilot monitoring set up to handle freq changes and routine responses such as handoffs in P2A, the company doesn't pay them to do nothing, after all), all of which is understandable and no big deal.

But I was wondering if there's a way to "reboot" the whole handoff between centers sequence mid flight if you find yourself suspecting that either you or the software has missed a handoff along the route?

• Like 1

Checking the ARTCC center map in Taxi Mnt, there are quite a few centers along the way that you seem to have missed.

There is no "reset" or "reboot" button.

You could go through the "crash" recovery process as follows:

1. Save your flight plan
  2. Shut down and restart P2A
  3. Load same flight plan as was loaded prior to the disconnect/crash.
  4. Connect to SIM
  5. File the flight plan
  6. Make initial call to ATC.  Usually this would be “<CallSign> at flight level xxx” or something similar
  7. ATC will give you a squawk code and all should proceed normally after that

Dave

Cool, thanks! I will say, though, Brest Ctr handled the rest of my flight marvelously, so it's more of an immersion thing than anything else. I'll try it if it ever happens again :)

Quick question, Dave: What you said made me think. Looks like whatever happened, happened between Brest and Madrid. Would it have worked if I'd just changed to Madrid's freq when I was in their airspace and announced myself? I know, I know, not exactly proper procedure, can't have pilots handing themselves over all over the place, but...

It would have been worth a try, but the reset procedure resets the flight state and other variables that may have been messed up by the problems with the PC you mentioned.

In the unlikely event that it ever happens again, I'll try both. It's not like the reboot option is an issue, I'm as a matter of fact amazed at how easily P2A handles that without missing a step. I remember even forgetting to pause the sim and it still working perfectly. This program is absolutely amazing.

Works like a charm! Just one amendment, to those who may not have read the entire manual, make sure to "ready to copy IFR" after rebooting P2A or the handoffs won't happen. Other than that, pure heaven! I should add, I was running on 8GB before this and am on 16GB now. I have no idea how this program managed to handle things with half the required, but it only goes to show how awesome P2A is, in my opinion!