Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

How Much HD Space for full deluxe install?

We need to put this answer in a sticky in 48 pt bold letters.Minimum of 14GB - but you know you will need at least twice that when you start putting in addons in a couple months

>We need to put this answer in a sticky in 48 pt bold>letters.>>Minimum of 14GB - but you know you will need at least twice>that when you start putting in addons in a couple months 14GB for the base install? That's freaking OBSCENE! My original FS9 install grew to 20GB but ONLY after I had added something like 758 aircraft, 4000+ gauges and tons of add-on scenery! It became so bloated that I created 3 more install instances, one a "clean" version to do testing with. That version takes up only 4 GB of space, minus the add-on scenery files which I consolidated into a seperate location on another drive. The other two installs are at 13GB and 15.7GB with 318 and 336 aircraft folders, respectively and thousands of gauges. My common add-on scenery folder is only 4 GB in size, So, it appears that FSX has been "pre-bloated" up to 14GB from the FS9 full install of somewhere around 5-7 GB. From what I've been reading on various boards, I would have expected a many-fold improvement in the sim for that much increase in size but that's not what I'm reading. Paul ( holding off persuing FSX until more "verdicts" are in )

Wide-5.jpg

Guest archtx

I imagine a lot of that is due to the new high resolution textures.

FSX has a different "world" than FS2004 - one almost round - not the elongated cylinder of previous versions.That and the move to 39M mesh for standard in parts of the world - and the ability to display better resolution mesh all result is a much larger size of the basic "world".I'm actually amazed they went a couple orders of magnitude better than FS2004 and kept the size so small.And textures add up - there are now several new regions of the world for the default scenery textures - several new sets.Default aircraft have new texture effects - increasing the default Baron textures from 5 files and 2.79MB to 12 files and 7.59MBOther aircraft increased even more.The default Baron sounds increase from 11.0MB to 13.3MB with 5-1 sound files - the Beaver is amazing...And another 3.57MB in the SoundAI folder