Sign in to follow this  
Jem777

Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training

Does anyone know if its possible to get the files which come with Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training to work in P3D? Ive had a go but P3D doesnt see the files. Anyone had any luck with this?

thanks

Most of FSX add-on scenery/aircraft will work in P3Dv3 or v4, especially P3DV3 and earlier as it is a 32 bit application just like FSX. I'm not sure what is not working for you as you are not allowed to place FSX default scenery/aircraft into P3D (at least not publicly).   The book, Real World Training should work as it is just a book and P3D is very similar to FSX except it does not contain all of the FSX default aircraft.  Still you can make it work with the appropriate aircraft.  Techniques in the manual have not changed much over the past 15 years.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim

I know a lot of addons for FSX do work in P3D but P3D cant see the files for some reason. Im not in front of the computer right now but by memory the files from the book are .wx and .fssave files there is another one or two files. It would be great to be able to work through the exercises in the book with P3D.

If those are saved flights, you are out of luck. Saved flight file format has changed in P3D. It is theoretically possible to convert the old .FLT files into .FXML, but that is too much work to do it manually. One would have to write a conversion tool (or maybe there is one somewhere out there). And then hope that the .fssave file isn't too important, because that one doesn't even exist in P3D (TMBK).

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Its a shame the file types are not supported. Ill have to find some flight school stuff online.

thanks

3 hours ago, Jem777 said:

Its a shame the file types are not supported. Ill have to find some flight school stuff online.

thanks

I can probably slap together a conversion tool. It looks simple enough, but there usually are nasty surprises in the details. Send me a PM here if you want.

But. Are you sure that this is only about saved flights, not missions? And do you have the aircraft in P3D that go with them? If this was made for FSX they are probably using the default planes?

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I remember I got them working ( well at least the first half or third, since I did not complete the book) but I am away from my sim computer for the next two weeks 😞
As far as I remember it was simply a matter of opening the FSX files with SimDirector, the P3D scenario external editor, and saving them again with the good P3D format. And then opening them in P3D. At some stage (I guess it was the first flight in a Cesna, chap. 9) I remember that the files did not work out of the box anymore : the airplane would be spawn half in or very close to a building, and moving the plane would crash it (disable crash detection then). Weather was also sometimes different (wind direction, ...) which was more problematic. Things have changed between fsx and p3d : buildings placement, mag deviation, among others.

If needed I can look more in details how the conversion was done but not earlier than in two weeks.

But my advice would be not to bother with those files, what I did at some stage. Those missions (at least the first half) mostly consist in placing a specific plane at a specific airport, with a specific weather (mostly wind direction and intensity). All the information given in the book at the mission description is enough to recreate the scenario within P3D (with the scenario window that popup at launch).

Hope it helps

Cheers

Vvince

Hi Vvince

With some fantastic work from Lorby_SI they work fine. I havent tried Chapter 9 yet but ill be adding all of the chapters soon. I can send you the instructions from Lorby_SI or if you like or you can contact him direct for the instructions. I cant believe they finally work in P3D 

Thank You Lorby_SI