Hi folks, newbie to littlenavmap and this forum.  I am using XP11 and am connected to lnm.  I'm following the tutorial so I can avoid asking stupid questions, but ran into an issue almost immediately.  So I'm going to have to ask a stupid question now. 

I'm attempting to create a new flight plan and have selected the departure airport on the map.  However, the airport only stays centered on the map for about 12 seconds, and then if flips out in a different scale to a different part of the country unrelated to where I was.  Doesn't matter where I hover the mouse or anything else.  Any ideas?  I thought it might have something to do with my XP11 aircraft parked in a different airport, but I exited XP and that didn't help.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

Hi,

LNM keeps the next flight plan waypoint and the user aircraft centered on the map when flying. On ground it simply centers the aircraft on the map.
This is the default setting. You can change it on options on page "Simulator Aircraft" or switch if off in Map -> "Center Aircraft".

Normally exiting the simulator or disconnecting LNM stops the centering stuff. Also, the aircraft should be just centered when on ground.

Jumping to arbitrary positions and zoom can happen only if there is a flight plan active far away from the aircraft position.

Alex

2 hours ago, albar965 said:

Hi,

LNM keeps the next flight plan waypoint and the user aircraft centered on the map when flying. On ground it simply centers the aircraft on the map.
This is the default setting. You can change it on options on page "Simulator Aircraft" or switch if off in Map -> "Center Aircraft".

Normally exiting the simulator or disconnecting LNM stops the centering stuff. Also, the aircraft should be just centered when on ground.

Jumping to arbitrary positions and zoom can happen only if there is a flight plan active far away from the aircraft position.

Alex

Alex, thank you for responding so quickly.  So in this case I was using LNM for the first time, so no previous flight plan existed as far as I know unless one comes as part of the installation. So if I have aircraft on the ground somewhere, I cannot build a flight plan using the map if the flight doesn't originate where I'm sitting?  Also the centering stuff was happening after I exited the simulator.  I'll experiment a bit more and see what I can do - which will also help me learn your tool.  Which I'm sure you've heard many times is awesome.  I was a software engineer much of my life and appreciate the work that went into this.  Just out of curiosity - how much work was this to create the bulk of what's there now?  

Alex, not sure if I should start a new thread on this - if so let me know.  I'm going through the User Manual and have questions about this section. 

The first sentence you say 'the bottom part of this page....'  Which page is that?  I'm not seeing anything at the bottom of this section that pertains to that. 

Also first sentence, you have a link got the NOAA website with the data.  Are we supposed to use that link to download the data. I don't think so - but not finding another option. 

The next questions probably will make more sense when I find the method for installation, but having a target extract folder pointing to files a10g and p10g doesn't make sense to me - one usually extracts to a folder/directory.  Anyway once I know where the dialog/install process is this will make more sense I'm sure. 

40.14.2. Flight Plan Elevation Profile

The bottom part of this page allows to install the freely downloadable GLOBE - Global Land One-km Base Elevation Project elevation data.

Download the ZIP archive from the link in the dialog and extract it. Select the extracted directory using Select GLOBE Directory ... so, that it points to the files a10g to p10g. The label in the dialog will show an error if the path is invalid.

Alex - never mind responding to this.  I've decided that it's too complicated to use this right now.  I need to use a lighter weight too. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Fiddler said:

So if I have aircraft on the ground somewhere, I cannot build a flight plan using the map if the flight doesn't originate where I'm sitting? 

To start  a flight plan, regardless of where your aircraft is currently sitting;

1) You can right click on any airport icon and select set departure/destination.

or

2) You can Click on the 'Search->Airports' tab. 

Key in a Airport code, name, city, etc.  Right click an airport in the results list and select 'Set Flight Plan Departure' or 'Set Flight Plan Destination'.

Clear the search criteria and do it again for the other airport.

Once selected; Click on the 'Flight Planning -> Flight Plan' tab and the airports will appear in the list. 

You can then right click on the airports in the flight plan, or on the map to set procedures, etc. 

You can also do either of the above with Navaids, waypoints, etc. to add or append them to a flight plan.

It's really pretty easy to create plans with LNM.

For the GLOBE stuff; there are instructions on installation about four messages down in the Little Navmap installation thread.

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

14 hours ago, Fiddler said:

So if I have aircraft on the ground somewhere, I cannot build a flight plan using the map if the flight doesn't originate where I'm sitting?

Sure you can. If the centering causes problems simply disable it. Go to menu -> "Map" and uncheck "Center Aircraft". There might be a bug if the centering still happens when not connected.

For now I'd do the following: "Tools" -> "Reset all settings and restart" to get a clean base and probably get rid of the centering bug.
Then have a look at the tutorials linked in the help menu.

Install the GLOBE data later. This is nice to have but not required.

14 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Just out of curiosity - how much work was this to create the bulk of what's there now?

Very hard to estimate. But it was a huge nerve wrecking amount of work since 2015. Okay, mostly it is fun too.:smile:
Sometimes ten hours a day and sometimes I do nothing at all for a month.

Alex