Sign in to follow this  
Gazzareth

PC lockup issues with latest versions... (resolving)

Hi,

The log file is clear now but have you kept the additional 'troubleshooting' settings for now?

The only causes remaining for a computer lockup, if it is not the hardware (tested) nor the software (log clears), are essentially very limited now. What I'm thinking of is:

1) An essential file (think system file) is corrupted and is locking up Windows when it reads it.

This could be a SSD cell failing, or a failed Windows update.
You can have Win10 check for its own 'health' and make it scan and auto-repair itself.

2) Another hardware component is failing but wasn't triggered when doing the stress-test benchmark.

This could be a RAM module and this will take a specific RAM test/benchmark software to stress it.

3) Another software is chocking when the GTN is running. 

This could be a Firewall or antivirus program which is failing on you in this specific case.

4) Another software is trying to mess with our software and it is getting booted, which it doesn't like.

Our protection system is remarkably trouble free, but if you have a virus or a trojan it is possible they are trying to mess around and our protection kicks in preventively. In this case the lock up wouldn't from our protection but from the other software not knowing how to deal with being rejected.

These are a few leads to further investigate on your system.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I should have added: we're recently suffered 2 computer loss all of sudden.

One of the 2 started to shutdown on us without any prior warning. Sometimes it could have run for a day, sometimes only 10 minutes. We were trying to debug the issue and find a reason but we've failed to find a specific software.

Instead, it was a any software starting to use the CPU a little more and most likely elevating its temperature which was causing this. It seems one of the computer was having a thermal issue (after so many years) and was no longer dissipating fast enough. I'm still not 100% certain but this is most likely the reason.

The other one was having a similar issue (shutting down on us without any prior warning). In this case, the most likely culprit is the PSU. Under load, it just fails now. It might just be wear and tear in the capacitors after so many years as well.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Did you backup your original panel.cfg file?  One with no GTN?  Why not try going back to it and fly and see if you are getting lockups without the GTN.  Of course before you do that make a copy of your current panel.cfg that has the GTN......

It's multiple aircraft from multiple vendors, only get the issue when it's a GTN equipped one. Literally never had this issue without GTN loaded..... 

Can fly Eaglesoft / PMDG / QW / Carenado (if I have to) birds without GTN fine..

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

26 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

The log file is clear now but have you kept the additional 'troubleshooting' settings for now?

The only causes remaining for a computer lockup, if it is not the hardware (tested) nor the software (log clears), are essentially very limited now. What I'm thinking of is:

1) An essential file (think system file) is corrupted and is locking up Windows when it reads it.

This could be a SSD cell failing, or a failed Windows update.
You can have Win10 check for its own 'health' and make it scan and auto-repair itself.

2) Another hardware component is failing but wasn't triggered when doing the stress-test benchmark.

This could be a RAM module and this will take a specific RAM test/benchmark software to stress it.

3) Another software is chocking when the GTN is running. 

This could be a Firewall or antivirus program which is failing on you in this specific case.

4) Another software is trying to mess with our software and it is getting booted, which it doesn't like.

Our protection system is remarkably trouble free, but if you have a virus or a trojan it is possible they are trying to mess around and our protection kicks in preventively. In this case the lock up wouldn't from our protection but from the other software not knowing how to deal with being rejected.

These are a few leads to further investigate on your system.

Will start with a test of the memory and see where I go from there, doubt heat is the issue as P3D isn't hitting the CPU as hard as the stress test - that was fine for 20+ minutes - plus I would expect to see other software failing as well. Same for memory as well I guess, but only testable hardware I've not done....

G

And just to be clear: does it lock up if you run the simulator without any GTN, and at the same time, you run the GTN Trainer standalone (via the Garmin Launcher)?

Edited by RXP

2 hours ago, RXP said:

And just to be clear: does it lock up if you run the simulator without any GTN, and at the same time, you run the GTN Trainer standalone (via the Garmin Launcher)?

Sounds like a good idea, although looking like the issue may be RAM, whilst it passes the normal Win10 RAM test, it locks up on Enhanced test. Just confused as to why the GTN (and now the enhanced test) would be the only things triggering it.

G

You might want to probably try a 2nd memory tester tool to confirm prior ditching your RAM modules though, just in case.

If RAM is the issue the reason it triggers with the GTN could just be related to some of the modules it is using which are using memory space (fixed?) exactly where your memory module is failing. It is unlikely there is anything 'fixed' though because application memory is virtual and mapped over hardware memory via at least 2 layers (1 in the CPU and 1 in Window). Otherwise this could be just because the trainer is using both the video card and other components doing some sort of "DMA" transfers and these are mapping over a failing module address space.

These are just speculations and testing the simulator + the trainer standalone alongside might be interesting because it will help determining whether it is the trainer by itself, or the trainer when it is 'managed' by our gauge.

Edited by RXP

Ditching the RAM probably won't happen, as I'm going to be replacing the machine later in the year, so if things continue as is (and that is the cause) then I would probably try and live without the GTN until it gets replaced. Obviously not keen on that result.

With regard to the other question, just had the sim running for 2 hours with QW 146 in flight, stand alone trainer up and running - no issue.

Will test more later.

G

So another 3 full flights done with standalone GTN running, QW146 / PMDG NGX / PMDG 777. No lockups at all....

G

Thank you for the additional feedback.

I'm not sure right now what could make it cause a lockup or not on your system in 'managed by gauge' mode vs standalone mode.

What is certain is this is highly system related otherwise I'm certain we'll see a lot of similar issue reported in the forum. Having said this it might be something we can workaround but this would require identifying it first and for now I'm lacking enough data for this.

Something you might want to try is to run the GTN in-sim with our gauge but disconnecting most links between the GTN and the simulator:

1. Disable all "Panel Instruments" (connect GPS to XXX).
  2. Disable all "Device Options" (Use XXX) and set TAWS to TERR only.
  3. Use Simulator clock source in "Gauge Options".
  4. Disabled all in "Gauge Options | Advanced Settings".

This should take care to limit to the minimum the interactions between the simulator and the trainer within the sim.

Keep the DebugTrainer = 5 though.

Will give that a shot, may be later in the week though as back at work now!

G

Finished earlier than usual, so managed a test:

Changed settings as above, although whilst I was doing it the Citation battery died. So connected GPU and GTN got to first screen, left for 5 minutes whilst I was doing something else, turned back to it and it was locked up. Never even clicked into it, so was still on startup screen...

G