Sign in to follow this  
Axel66

Communication does not work fluently

Hello.

My problem with Vox ATC are the frequent delays or interruptions. Sometimes I have to pass my messages twice before it is accepted from the program, very often I get the answer "last aircraft say again" and especially during an approach instructions are very late or rather too late. Is there anything I can do to let the program work without those "interruptions" in communication?

Axel

9 hours ago, Axel66 said:

Hello.

My problem with Vox ATC are the frequent delays or interruptions. Sometimes I have to pass my messages twice before it is accepted from the program, very often I get the answer "last aircraft say again" and especially during an approach instructions are very late or rather too late. Is there anything I can do to let the program work without those "interruptions" in communication?

Axel

It's possible that it's not VOXATC, but rather your microphone. USB microphones are notoriously awful when it comes to voice recognition, so if that's what you are using, you might want to consider a non-USB mic. But there are ways to improve voice recognition, even with a USB mic. It is also an absolute necessity when using speech recognition that the room be completely devoid of background noise.

Here's some items for your consideration. First, you have to calibrate the mic in Windows 10. Second, you have to do the Windows voice training. Third, you have to do the VOXATC voice training for your specific flightplan. The next step is to run the Windows 10 speech recognition app, open Notepad and try dictating some common ATC phrases. Note this app is accessible from the Windows Control Panel Speech applet. Note: It is not necessary to run the Windows speech recognition app when running VOXATC. Look for specific phrases that are causing problems. Then open the Windows speech dictionary (also available from the CP applet) and train that phrase specifically. I find that with my setup, words that begin with D and G give the voice recognition a lot of trouble. So I focused my training on those words.

Thank you for the answer. Due to the fact I am not a native speaker the program might struggle with my German accent 🙂

However, I will try your recommendations and will let you know the result.

While you're fine tuning the speech recognition you can alternatively use the VOXATC First Officer option on IFR flights. He (or she, depending on the voice you select) will handle almost all of the ATC communications.

I bought a new headset (usb again) because my old one was falling apart. With the new headset I had absolutely no improvement. Then I activated the first officer and now ATC works fluently and without any problems. No idea why, but that doesn´t matter. Thank you for the hint.

• Like 1

Sometimes it’s not worth trying to push a boulder up a hill. The FO option in VOXATC at least allows one to have a realistic flight experience. Now, all you have to worry about is choosing a fightplan that contains a poorly constructed airport. That experience can be more frustrating than trying to solve microphone issues.

• Like 1