Sign in to follow this  
Brianl

Helicopter Autorotation

7 hours ago, Wells said:

From what I can tell, if the 1400 sections are in the air file, then autorotations are possible, but no other helicopter things work, like tail rotor translation, torque vs collective, mast tilt, etc.  If the 1400 sections are absent, and the aircraft config file contains all the updated ( since FSX:A ) entries, then everything except autorotations will work.  So, either way, you are screwed, unless you have external code, such as HTR or something else ( dodosim? ).  Unlike aircraft, the config does not overwrite the air file, if the 1400 sections are present.

Thanks Wells, that's worth a look. Also, maybe now is the time to accept defeat with the sim. This might be something to add to the lackings list along with g-forces, smells and grumpy controllers.

Brian

55 minutes ago, Brianl said:

Yes I've tried that by pressing F1 which should cut the engine - it doesn't. But I can start "autorotation" OK like we do in the real aircraft by flooring the collective, that's not where the problem is. In a real auto the main rotor revs increase with vertical speed. to keep NR in the green you have to raise the collective; if the engine is still running that also repowers the main rotor and the autorotation stops. Same thing happens in the final stage of correction where you raise the collective to setle the aircraft on the ground with the VSI showing zero; if the engine is still running you get engine-induced lift which wouldn't  happen in real life.

Thanks for trying to help HighBypass.

How many autorotations have you done to the ground where the engine was not running?

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If F1 doesn't work, then can you shut off the fuel, throttle.. whatever you should do in the real thing to stop the engine (I am of course not familiar with any helicopters IRL). I mean click on/operate stuff in the VC to achieve the same result. 

Or, suspending any realism, somehow give the engine 100% failure in flight?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 5/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, BlueStar said:

How many autorotations have you done to the ground where the engine was not running?

I think he's referring to the sim automatically linking collective to engine power somehow: Raise the collective and the engine provides power. Just a guess, sorry.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)