Sign in to follow this  
russgreen

Toggling CDI changes DME

Hi,

The GTN overrides the NAV dme datarefs when in GPS mode, and you enable "Connect GPS to VOR".

Since v2.5.25, in addition to the 'dist' dataref, it also overrides the 'time' and 'speed' DME datarefs.

It didn't before because the datarefs documentation was wrong and a recent discussion with XPlane devs cleared this up!

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Why would the DME (say a Bendix King KN62 type unit) suddenly report distance to a GPS waypoint?

Edited by russgreen

I don't know, but if you're enabling "Connect GPS to VOR1", the GTN is then replacing the radio signals from NAV1 with synthesized signals so that the panel instrument is displaying valid data still.

Do you need "Connect GPS to VOR1" for this aircraft? Do you have any mean to use DME2 from NAV2 instead?

This is a good suggestion though and XP11 permitting, we might add a specific "DME" option in a future update.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Well possibly. Depending on the aicraft.  

Take the default 172.  If you're using the GTN as NAV/COM1 you'd want to connect to VOR1 wouldn't you?   

And if you had a DME radio on the panel set to remote to nav 1 it would continue to use the NAV station tuned on the GTN but if you override all the DME datarefs that breaks.

Edited by russgreen

46 minutes ago, russgreen said:

And if you had a DME radio on the panel set to remote to nav 1 it would continue to use the NAV station tuned on the GTN but if you override all the DME datarefs that breaks.

It depends whether you're considering your primary navigation mean is the GPS, not the NAV radio, and therefore, having the distance from the GPS is expected.

Update: I've been reviewing a number of docs and I fail to find whether the GTN could actually interface a DME equipment so that it actually synthesized the DME signal for the DME indicator to display the GPS distance as-if it was a DME radio signal. Some of the information shows it is actually possible but some other leads me to think the information displayed would only be from the NAV radio signal, not from the GPS.

I believe the X-Plane default GPS also overrides the DME radio data with GPS data but this would need to be verified. I guess adding a DME option makes sense in this case, as this will further add optional integration capabilities depending on the specific aircraft coding the simulator.

Edited by RXP

Toggling the CDI source on the built in GNS doesn't change the DME. The DME still reads from the beacon tuned in the nav radio. 

12 hours ago, RXP said:

I guess adding a DME option makes sense in this case, as this will further add optional integration capabilities depending on the specific aircraft coding the simulator.

Yes sounds like this solves my issue and still support the type of integration you were going for.#

Many thanks

• Like 1

Hi,

There is no ETA yet for this new feature (not really a fix) but we're working alongside many other changes going on in XP11.50 beta (from beta1 to beta 17 then RC1 etc...) The latest for our next update will be when XP11.50 final is released, we're trying sooner.

However, please understand there is no granularity for DME in XP11. Whenever you override the NAV needles, you also have to override the DME value otherwise it is not updated by XP11 anymore. This means whenever your Link the HSI and/or the VOR to the GPS you'll loose DME from NAV radios. This is the reason the GTN/GNS V2 are updating the DME value as well otherwise you'd get distracting false indications.

Edited by RXP