Each time I open Little NavMap I see a window refering to the Global Elevation Data which includes a link to download it. I downloaded the zip file but I haven't got a clue what to do with it. The instructions shown in Section 40.14.2 Flight Plan Elevation Profile, in the manual leave a lot to be desired.

"Download the ZIP archive from the link in the dialog and extract it. Select the extracted directory using Select GLOBE Directory ... so, that it points to the files a10g to p10g. The label in the dialog will show an error if the path is invalid."

1) Where do I extract the zip file to?

2) Where is the 'Globe Directory'?

3) I open the zip file and select all the files as shown. I then click 'Extract to a selected folder.' but where is that folder?

I know I could just turn off the original warning but since the information is available, I might just as well use it but how?

51 minutes ago, Highflyer48 said:

Each time I open Little NavMap I see a window refering to the Global Elevation Data which includes a link to download it.

You can disable this dialog by clicking "Do not show again". A lot of information dialogs in LNM can be hidden this way.

42 minutes ago, Highflyer48 said:

The instructions shown in Section 40.14.2 Flight Plan Elevation Profile, in the manual leave a lot to be desired.

I tend to disagree. Otherwise, I would twenty emails a day about this. But the sources of the manual are available freely right here. Feel free to contribute a better explanation and send me a pull request while I'm busy extending and fixing LNM. I'm open for changes.

43 minutes ago, Highflyer48 said:

1) Where do I extract the zip file to?

Wherever you want. I suggest something like "...\Documents\Little Navmap\GLOBE". Create your own folder but keep in a place where you have full control like "Documents".

45 minutes ago, Highflyer48 said:

2) Where is the 'Globe Directory'?

Where you extracted the zip.

45 minutes ago, Highflyer48 said:

3) I open the zip file and select all the files as shown. I then click 'Extract to a selected folder.' but where is that folder?

C'mon, this is basic windows functionality and has nothing to do with LNM. Where is that folder? Where you extracted it! Depends on your zip tool of course.

After extracting go to the options dialog and select this folder. The dialog has a status field which clearly tells you if you selected the right directory/folder.

Alex

• Like 2

Thankyou for the additional explanations. I've followed the more detailed instructions provided and everything works fine. The reason behind my original RFI is borne out by the explanation given. The original instructions were compiled by someone who knows exactly what to do and expects everyone else to know also, which is fairly typical of most software creators.

I will break this down as follows:

1) "Download the ZIP archive from the link in the dialog and extract it." - No indication as to where to extract it to. Why not say, 'Create a folder entitled Little NavMap Globe and extract to there'?

2) "Select the extracted directory using Select GLOBE Directory ... so, that it points to the files a10g to p10g." - No indication as to where to find the option, "Select GLOBE Directory ..." It would be so much more help to say something like, 'Under 'Tools/Option/Use Offline GLOBE Elevation Data.'

With those two additional pieces of information, the whole thing is easy.

Maybe you don't get twenty emails a day because people just can't be bothered.

Thanks for a great piece of software. I've just made a donation.

Best regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

glad it is working now. I'll update the manual according to your suggestions to make it more clear. Thanks. Already noted.

Sorry for coming along a bit rude above. I spent a whole month last year revisiting and partially rewriting the manual. I still think it is quite good compared to other free software (if there is a manual at all LOL). Not to forget all the hard-working and kind translators.

And thank you again for the donation!

Alex

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, Highflyer48 said:

Thankyou for the additional explanations. I've followed the more detailed instructions provided and everything works fine. The reason behind my original RFI is borne out by the explanation given. The original instructions were compiled by someone who knows exactly what to do and expects everyone else to know also, which is fairly typical of most software creators.

I will break this down as follows:

1) "Download the ZIP archive from the link in the dialog and extract it." - No indication as to where to extract it to. Why not say, 'Create a folder entitled Little NavMap Globe and extract to there'?

2) "Select the extracted directory using Select GLOBE Directory ... so, that it points to the files a10g to p10g." - No indication as to where to find the option, "Select GLOBE Directory ..." It would be so much more help to say something like, 'Under 'Tools/Option/Use Offline GLOBE Elevation Data.'

With those two additional pieces of information, the whole thing is easy.

Maybe you don't get twenty emails a day because people just can't be bothered.

Thanks for a great piece of software. I've just made a donation.

Best regards

Ray

On 5/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, albar965 said:

I tend to disagree. Otherwise, I would twenty emails a day about this. But the sources of the manual are available freely right here. Feel free to contribute a better explanation and send me a pull request while I'm busy extending and fixing LNM. I'm open for changes.

I do not disagree!

I felt the exact same way as Highflyer48 regarding these exact same points.  Everything they said in the first post were my thoughts exactly, and I am an advanced computer user.. I grew up online on a computer basically..
(maybe just lacking some sleep tonight)..

I even looked at the GDE site and tried to figure it out from their site
- keep in mind I have been reading SO much documentation these last few 24 hours regarding Flight Sim add-ons and VATSIM training manuals..  I could just be burned out.. -

but when I couldn't figure out how to implement the data I choose to ignore it rather than pursue you with support requests over something (I felt - right now as a FS/VATSIM newb) as trival.

Imagine my glee when I come across the answer from a post posted so recently to my confusions!

I agree with the revisions they suggested in their follow-up post, too.

And kudos to them for handling the dev's initial response so very well and classy... 💟